Morton's Neuroma and Tarsal Tunnel anyone?

Options
Mat48
Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
edited 16. Apr 2014, 20:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Saw the podiatrist yesterday. He felt all my problems were down to nerve inflammation and said possibly tarsal tunnel but he thought it might go much further up or be more systemic. He will continue to treat me once a month just to see if he can release the nerve and make it better but he doesn't feel this is very likely. I hadn't heard of tarsal tunnel before (the ankle equivalent of carpal tunnel he explained) Anyone had it and if so has any form of treatment helped?

Also I have a Morton's Neuroma that makes my foot pop disconcertingy whenever I walk. He said this is dead common and unrelated to RA - especially in women of my age (51) - mainly because of walking in heels. But I've never worn heels? - I have however had swollen foot pads since the RA started! Mat
If you get lemons, make lemonade

Comments

• 19smp59
    19smp59 Member Posts: 105
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've had really painful feet for 25 years and never worn heels! Last year they suddenly became much worse, felt like I was walking on the bones of my feet and developed literally hundreds of corns across the balls of my feet. Podiatrist diagnosed dropped metatarsal heads and Mortons Neuroma in each foot and I had to go to a Chiropodist to have the corns removed, although they just come back within a few weeks, so it looks like I will have to have this done every few months. Podiatrist mentioned having a steroid injection for the Mortons Neuroma.
  • maryow
    maryow Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi Mat

I was told I had 2 mortons neuromas in each foot prior to my ra diagnosis. When I was diagnosed my rheumy said that it was an incorrect diagnosis and the swelling was caused by ra even though it presented and looked exactly the same as ra. I had steroid injections under xray in my feet and this really helped for about 4 months then the pain came back but I presume this was down to uncontrolled undiagnosed ra.

Hope this helps

Mary
  • Mat48
    Options
    Thanks. The podiatrist is quite sure its an MN and also that these are nothing to do with RA. And he is a rheumy podiatrist and usually pretty on the ball but I do wonder as I've never worn heels and always been very fussy about footwear having rather delicate feet. Mine doesn't hurt at all but it pops when my foot touches the ground. Sorry you are both so much worse off than me. The corns must be awful. He said that if and when mine caused painon the future, which it likely would, I could have a cortisone shot. Mat
  • Mat48
    Options
    Mat48 wrote:
    Thanks. The podiatrist is quite sure its an MN and also that these are nothing to do with RA. And he is a rheumy podiatrist and usually pretty on the ball but I do wonder as I've never worn heels and always been very fussy about footwear having rather delicate feet. Mine doesn't hurt at all but it pops when my foot touches the ground. Sorry you are both so much worse off than me. The corns must be awful. He said that if and when mine caused pain in the future, which it likely would, I could have a cortisone shot. Mat