Hello. Struggling with day to day life

craignash1981
craignash1981 Member Posts: 9
edited 23. Apr 2014, 04:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello. I've been suffering with arthritis in the hips and lower back now for over two years. I'm only 32, and it's becoming quite painful. To the point I have had to drop hours at work to part time. I can walk but not with out being in constant pain. I am on biologics and tablets. Been on the biologics for about 2 months now. Is there anything that I could try for the pain. Also anything that I would be entitled to to ease the financial. Many thanks.

Comments

• Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Craig;

What do you take now for pain? My hip pain is remarkably resistant to the medications I take too :o Maybe your GP could recommend something as a top up?
  • craignash1981
    I have been on all the normal ones. Paracetamol ibuprofen, cocodimal, and tramadol. But nothing works. I am going to start yoga and try meditation. But not sure if that's going to work. But have a docs appointment tomorrow to see what they can do.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hello Craig
    Hip pain is so hard to tame,I had painful hips and have had one replaced so that sorted most of the pain...have you tried Steroid injections done under xray, my back is also painful due to having a few bulging disc but I have been told that the limping is making it far worse ,I take gabapentin for this ... it must be so hard having to work though all this, have you had a look at our working matters section this should give you some idea of what you could claim...if things are really bad, I would give your Rheumy a call and see what they say..sorry I don't know anything about the biological's I do hope you can get some relief soon
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I reckon that pain is part-and-parcel of arthritis, I have been in constant (and increasing) pain for just over seventeen years but have grown to accept it and recognise its value as feedback. I have PsA in around thirty nine joints and OA in both ankles, both knees and both hips (other joints too but they are the ones I use the most :wink: ).

It's not easy, far from it. We can learn to adjust what we do, how we do it and for how long but it takes time to do so. I am fortunate in that I have a husband who is not afraid to cook or load the washing machine (and even iron his shirts when I cannot) but, oddly enough, that doesn't help me feel any better about things. Mind you he was quite happy for me to load and unload the washer when I had a badly broken arm! :lol:

You are in the early days of this malarkey and hopefully the meds will soon begin to take some effect: the dosage may need tweaking or other meds added, a triple therapy is not unknown. Here comes an unpalatable fact: males have more pain receptors than females (which kinda makes sense given what the female body is designed to do) so you may feel pain to a more acute level. There is only so much that pain relief can do, I prefer to keep mine to a minimum so I have an 'escape' route for when things worsen (which they do from time to time). We don't live easy lives. :( DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Tubby
    Tubby Member Posts: 177
    Hi Craig
    I am a month into taking a biologic (tried the other stuff first e.g methotrexate etc) and starting to notice minor improvements (think it would be better but stress has been playing havoc with flares!). For pain relief and to help with swelling, I take Diclofenac (which is frowned upon in the popular press but my doctor says is no worse than many of the others in its category) and paracetemol morning and night. Just like DD, I like to keep a little in reserve so I can increase the paracetemol dosage or replace it it with co-codamol when necessary. I too have had steroid injections when life has become too much and they have worked but I like to save them up for 'special' occasions.
    My mum who has OA (and I think undiagnosed PsA) has recently been given a fairly hefty dosage of gabapentin for lower back and hip pain. She could not do anything and this has at least made life bearable again and she is back driving after about 7 weeks off her feet.

Hope this helps and hope you feel a little less pain very soon.

Tubby
  • craignash1981
    Hey. Just wanted to say a massive thanks to everyone that has taken the time to reply. It has answered so many questions. Even the ones I haven't asked. Thanks again folks. X
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hi Craig, if you need your meds changing or tweaking your Rhummy Nurse maybe the best person to help you with that. As for getting finances then seeing or speaking to someone at Citizen's Advice Bureau would be able to point you in the best direction.