Arthritis, work and medication.

Joshuargh
Joshuargh Member Posts: 3
edited 30. Apr 2014, 08:25 in Young people's community
I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis about two months ago and have been taking sulfasalazine for 4 weeks now.

Alongside the unyielding tiredness and the aches and pains of walking,standing etc. I now feel constantly I'll with headaches and nausea.

All I want is a job, but the jobs they usually give to people my age (waiting on, shelf stacking, bar work etc) are all unsuitable because they require me being on my feet a lot. I need the money, as I'm starting college next year and will need to commute by train daily.

I don't know what to do!

Is anyone else in/ has been in this situation before?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'm not a young person, joshuargh, though I was only 15 when first diagnosed with RA. It's tough at any age but especially so when all your mates are fit and healthy and doing normal teenagey things while it takes all your strength just to get out of bed in the morning.

I understand your anxiety about work and it's laudable that you're so focused but (and I know I'm going to sound like a real old codger) I think you need to give yourself a bit of time to adjust first. Arthritis thrives on stress and stressing about work isn't going to help you get on top of yours. All the DMARDS, as I'm sure you've been told, can take several weeks to kick in and also for the side-effects to ease off. Once you get your disease under control you'll be in a much better position to work out what job(s) to go for. (Maybe something to do with computers – if your hands aren't affected?)

By the way, do let your college know of your health problems. They should be able to help with equipment, extra essay time etc.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Joshuargh
    Joshuargh Member Posts: 3
    Thankyou for responding!

Everyone has been telling me to wait until the medicine kicks in before looking for a job, but I'm 18 and the end of school is only a few months away. I get what you're saying about stress, but I honestly feel like I need to act now (mainly becaus I'm worried it will get worse and I won't be able to work at all, but also because I'm the kind of person who hates waiting).

I've let school know and they've given me extra time for my upcoming exams.

My main worry is the future, I won't be able to go to college without money and I can't get money unless I work.

Once again, thank you for responding! :D
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Hi Joshuargh
    pleased to meet you,I also have PsA im 62 had to stop working at 60.

my 1st damard was sulfaslazine and had to stop taking it at 4 weeks
    it lowered my white blood cell count (danger level).
    now on triple medication methotrexate/leflunomide/humira/

joshuargh your 18 and you have many years in front of you, so try
    take more time for yourself and listen to your body more.

like stickywicket said you will need to get your disease under more
    control, and then you can think about your other priorites .

dont forget regular blood tests,they will show any problems you may have.
    good luck mike26 :roll:
  • stickywicket
    Would it help to take a year out before college? That would give you chance to get established on meds and decide what you are / are not capable of jobwise without undue stress.

I'm afraid much of arthritic life concerns waiting – for appointments, for meds to work, for side-effects to abate. The more stressed and anxious we get the more waiting we have to do. One lesson I've learnt is that, in oder to win the war we have to be prepared to concede several battles :roll:
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Hi Joshuargh;

That is a hard situation to be in. You've only just been diagnosed really so try to take it easy and not put too much pressure on yourself. Stress will make things worse with your PsA not to mention the headaches, nausea and feeling ill all the time. Perhaps your school counsellor(s) could help you come up with creative jobs you may be able to handle? Give it time. I know that's tough, it still is for me at 48 :) I have PsA too.

The other thing to consider is possibly waiting until the meds kick-in and you are feeling better. That way, if you do find a suitable job you are more likely to be able to stick with it rather than have to leave due to symptoms flaring up.

Best wishes.
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    yes Josh I have!When i was 21 I was desperate for a job, so got a highly unsuitable one which involved walking up stairs heavy lifting etc.I should have just tried to make my health better. I have psoriasis arthritis and just got myself a new job, something I never thought was possible. If you would like to chat please pm me.Also I would think the meds would help. Hang in there my friend :)
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • stickywicket
    Kittkat wrote:
    I have psoriasis arthritis and just got myself a new job, something I never thought was possible.

:D:D:D Kittkat, well done! That's brilliant news. Why not post about it on LWA so that everyone can congratulate you?
    Steven Wright
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Kittkat wrote:
    I have psoriasis arthritis and just got myself a new job, something I never thought was possible.

:D:D:D Kittkat, well done! That's brilliant news. Why not post about it on LWA so that everyone can congratulate you?
    Thanks sticky :D Will do :)
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?