enbrel

debram
debram Member Posts: 115
edited 2. Jul 2014, 14:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have PSA and failed Humira, placed on Enbrel 7 wks ago.I take folic acid 6 out of 7 days and 20mg methotrexate. Trampoline & paracetamol for pain. Ametrypteline to sleep and citalopram.

Started to feel less tired but last 4 injections had left massive bruising. My left leg then had a patch the size of a tangerine the all red warm and painful.
I contacted the rheumi line at hospital who said it can be an allergic reaction. I've been told to stop them until I see my rheumatologist.
I had a blood test last week but had a call to repeat it as there was something wrong with the liver function test.
Now awaiting result of that.
Anyone had similar issues?

Deb xx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I didn't have any site reactions but it did try to explode my liver, my ALT went from 18 to 350-ish to 680-ish in the space of three weeks. Not fun. I hope you are able to see the rheumatologist sooner rather than later; don't be too surprised if they take you off it.

These meds are a matter of trial and error - many trials for us and a few errors along the way. It serves to make life tougher rather than easier until the magic combination is found. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Hi Deb , Enbrel has a preservative which is causing your injection site reaction , not all the biologics will cause this problem & some people get a lot of pain from the injection site

how long you been on methotrexate ? I had problems with my ALT results but after increasing folic acid to 6 days a week the results went back to normal , dont know if enbrel can cause the raised blood results
  • lynnoot
    lynnoot Member Posts: 52
    I had liver probs while on MTX, Now only on Enbrel, and I think there might be another prob with liver, but consultant & GP have not said much to me about it. Will ask next time I see them.
  • jabster
    jabster Member Posts: 39
    Hi
    I had awful site reactions when I started the enbrel pen
    It's the preservative in the drug in the pen.

I took a strong prescribed anti histimine before doing injection and later that day again. After about a month the welts and bruising calmed down.

Hope they let you stick with it awhile longer to see
  • debram
    Thanx for replies guys - haven't been on here a while!
    Interesting comments. Well I've been back to rheumatology who said it's probably an allergic reaction.
    I've concluded that compared to the Humira pen, the Enbrel pen shoots far harder & quicker. I feel like I've been hit with a bullet.
    My rheumi said try the syringe instead for the bruising and see if that helps, if I still have an allergic reaction we will try number 3 anti TNF! !

Only trouble is-6 weeks on I'm still waiting for health care at home to get a nurse out to show me how to inject!!

I'm still bruising on the legs for no reason and despite not having any injections for 8 weeks now - the patch that went red still itches and is sore.
    I've been on methotrexate 2 years and 6 out of 7 days folic acid for about a year and half.
    I've noticed a difference in both my arthritis and energy levels so I hope I get re started again soon!!
  • debram
    Have just read my initial post! Trampoline for pain!!!??? Lol predictive text is a wonderful thing - must proof read before I post! Lol I wish I could get on a trampoline - in the meantime I'll stick with tramadol!!! Lol
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hello debs
    I love the trampoline for pain , thats if I could get on one... :lol: aww so sorry you have had a reaction ,I cant offer any advice but I do wish you well with the rheumy appointment, let us know how you get on x
    Love
    Barbara
  • debram
    Thanks Barbara! Yes I agree trampoline for pain would be lovely!! Lol
    I'm in bed now on a beautiful day - went down this afternoon-pain, fatigue! The unpredictable nature of this disease! Thought it as only the wet and cold that affects people!!!
  • dreamdaisy
    The damp and cold affects my OA, the heat and humidity triggers my PsA. It's a year-round-win-win. :roll: I have been in bed since Monday thanks to the 'fine' weather. :wink:

Self-injecting via syringe is straightforward, I was taught at my hospital but only when I began humira was the HaH nurse brought into play. DD
  • debram
    You learn something new every day! I am affected by cold weather with my OA in knees and spine but didnt think hot weather could affect me!.
    I was told to go away to a hot country when my psoriasis was bad-no wonder I still felt awful! It didn't help my psoriasis either!

Thanks dream daisy - I thought it was a bit of a coincidence that it was hot and I was ill so now I realise that the Heat WAS affecting my PSA!
    We can't win sometimes! :(
    Deb xx :D
  • debram
    Well back on Enbrel but now in syringe form. Have to say - after being terrified at the thought of injecting with a syringe - it was far easier than the pen! No pain or bruising! ☺
  • dreamdaisy
    That was the form I had but I hope it goes better for you than me. I see that my metoject is changing to a pen; I intensely dislike the lack of control with the humira pen so gawd knows how this will work out. I speak about control when I have an auto-immune arthritis? What a nerve! :wink::lol:

Good luck, I hope it's better for you. DD
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,405
    debram wrote:
    Well back on Enbrel but now in syringe form. Have to say - after being terrified at the thought of injecting with a syringe - it was far easier than the pen! No pain or bruising! ☺

Exactly why I don't want to change to the pen.. I like the syringe! :(

I've had the notification of changing over to metoject pen too.. apparently, because there was pressure to supply them from a majority, & they can't afford to keep both forms, so the rest of us can lump it. Thanks. :roll:

Very good luck with the enbrel debram and I hope you can persist with it and get past the site reactions. :)
  • debram
    Thanks Toady - I'm injecting into just 2 sites at the moment. 1 leg and tummy. I showed the nurse where its thought I had an allergic reaction on my left leg and it's still red, itchy & raised. She's advised avoiding that leg for 3 months.
    I started to bruise on the pen after 4 injections so fingers crossed this time it will be plain sailing! :D
  • debram
    Good luck to you too Dream daisy! They've talked about switching my methotrexate from pills to injection as I get very bad ulcers fedl sick and have a very very dry mouth. But I'm holding off- let's get Enbrel up & running 1st I think!!

XxDebxx
  • dreamdaisy
    I alternate between two thighs and two sides of the stomach, I don't repeatedly use the same sites. Everything is carefully noted on the kitchen calendar otherwise I forget what's been stuck when and where.

With the meth I was switched from a pre-filled syringe to which I attached a slender needle to the metoject syringe with affixed needle and it's unpleasant: a short, stubby needle that needs a good shove to break the skin but at least I can control the flow. With the pen I won't but no matter. My life sucks, end of, there's no reason why it shouldn't suck more; I can take it. :wink: DD
  • debram
    I'm sorry your having a tough time Dream daisy. I've had a rough few years but following help from my consultant, GP, arthritis care forum and helpline plus C BT from a psychologist - I finally feel I'm on the right track.
    I was very depressed - suicidal in fact as I couldn't take either the mental stress or physical pain.

I was working and couldn't cope - finally my body and mind gave up in Feb 2012. That's when I went sick from work.
    2 years on 2 big ops on I think I'm coping better -that has a lot to do with finishing work and finally getting help.

Along my journey-I felt that people - family, doctors, friends didn't believe how unbearable the pain was.

I'm having help from lots of people-even a podiatrist with inserts - he even got me into the local hospital to have physio and hydrotherapy. I've now got aids at home & splints for my hands, a walking stick for when my legs refuse to go!

I still cry and have dark days where pain is unbearable but one valuable thing C BT gave me was to live in the here and now. That's hard and sometimes I don't want to be in the here and now but I don't look back and mourn the things I've lost and I don't plan my future - I can't. With our illness we have to take one day at a time don't we.
    I hope you will start to feel better too -I can't speak highly enough of Arthritis care - the forum and helplines - I don't know where I'd be without them.
    We both know we will never be cured but with the right med's and care we can maybe cope a little better.
    I'm sending hugs Dream daisy

xx