My first really bad flare or something else?

Options
Afc
Afc Member Posts: 15
edited 3. May 2014, 06:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,

I've become quite worried about my symptoms although I'm not sure if I'm supposed to worry or if this is normal...
I'm 22 and I've had sore knees and hands since I was about 17 (diagnosis inflammatory arthropathy "probably seronegative"), they become stiffer and more swollen at times. But in the past 2/3 weeks I've noticed my knees becoming stiffer and stiffer, until I can hardly bend them and its really painful when standing up/sitting down and going up and down stairs (almost impossible to use the toilet sometimes..). They feel really unstable, like they wobble back and forth when i walk and if i walk too fast they buckle. My quads hurt quite a lot aswell, not just at the joint but halfway up my thigh aswell which is quite odd.
The other day I had a fall where I landed on my knees so I suppose this didn't help either...
I've never been this bad before and was just wondering if it just sounds like a sudden flare up, rather than any other damage to ligaments etc... I don't fancy going back to the doctors only for them to tell me its just part of the disease and there's nothing they can do.

The other day i read a paper which claimed that some people have a bad relapse after gradually coming off steroids. Now, I had a steroid injection a couple of months ago - I don't know if this may be to do with it (it worked wonders at first but now i can hardly even walk "/).

Sorry if i've posted this in the wrong place. I just don't know who else to ask without trailing through to the docs (so much effort and im trying to study for finals as well so don't have too much time).
Is this just a wait it out thing? I don't go back to the rheumy til the end of June.

Thanks, any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi;

I'm not young like you but I have PsA and truly, nothing could surprise me with this illness anymore. It constantly surprises me with new levels of severity.

I know you don't want to take time to see a doc but sometimes meds can be tweeked/added and give relief? Or, they may suggest knee supports temporarily.

Anyway, my problems usually have to run their course and I use heat and rest until they do. Sorry, I don't have more to offer. Heat alternated with cold packs for short periods can help too. Give yourself as much TLC as you can.
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi,

I'm sorry ure struggling so much at the moment. I know it can't be easy especially wen ure trying to study too :(

This is the correct place for this type of question or to have a rant .. well for just about anything relating to how ure feeling physically & mentally :wink:

Anna has given you some sound advice that's definitely worth following. She's been having an awful time of it lately.

Ru on a DMARD or other type of med? It's possible they could need tweeking so a call to ure Rheumy Dept maybe worth a try?! Also try & stay on top of ure pain meds/gels.
    If you are concerned this is something other than arthritis related then I think it's a must to see ure GP asap I'm afraid.

Take care & keep us posted.
    (((Hugs)))

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    None of us fancy going to the doctors (the novelty wore off for me many years ago) but sometimes we have no choice, and this is one of those occasions for you. Steroids are a temporary 'fix', they don't deal with the underlying causes of an auto-immune arthritis but are good at conning us into thinking that all is well. I take it you are under the care of a rheumatologist? I think you should contact your rheumatology department and talk this over with them, in my experience GPs don't know enough about our conditions and the meds we take. If you have only had a steroid then I am not surprised that this is happening, it's part of the weird and not-so-wonderful world of auto-immune arthritis. From my point of view (and I am not a doc) this is not a flare (I have PsA, OA and fibromyalgia). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Afc
    Afc Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I'll try the heat/cold packs definitely. I've been wearing knee supports (just bought from the chemist) and I think they help a little but my knees are just bulging out of them! And it doesnt really help the pain.
    I've been on methotrexate (25mg/week) since October but it doesn't seem to be making much of a difference. I think my rheumatologist is thinking about adalimumab next, which i've heard wonderful things about, but also rather scary things.
    I'll phone them on Monday to see if i can sort something out. Finishing exams and not being able to celebrate won't be much fun but hopefully it will calm down by then :)
    Thank you all very much for your advice