Standard of dress at a Tribunal

bluebunner
bluebunner Member Posts: 43
edited 13. Jun 2014, 06:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
As a male does anyone think wearing a suit and tie makes any difference at a Tribunal?

Comments

• bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I am not male :lol: , but when I attended my tribunal for esa support group I didn't dress particularly smartly and I won my appeal.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    When I won my appeal, I did dress smartly. I really don't think it matters if you are going to win it you are going to win it, good luck let us know the outcome....................Marie
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It's a tricky one, this. Looking scruffy doesn't present you in a good light, but being 'over-dressed' may hint at your being more able than you claim (even if it took you an hour or so to button your shirt and someone else had to tie the tie). I'm afraid I cannot remember what your tribunal is for :oops: but I would opt for smart-casual so you look tidy but could dress with relative ease. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    I know someone who went to a tribunal in her gardening clothes and footwear and greased her hair with olive oil.

But she won the tribunal. :?
    Worked for her but bit extreme I would say.

Kath
  • bluebunner
    So it doesn't really matter then.

Thanks.

My tribunal is for DLA, Mobility, yes DLA, the claim was submitted October 2012, refused twice by DWP then tribunal in December 2013. Put off for a medical examination and some further reports.

They say all things come to those who wait, the date is 23rd May, I'll let you all know how I get on. I wouldn't bet on success however?
  • dreamdaisy
    You never know, this one could go your way. Take any supporting evidence you have and behave as though you are having one of your worst days (mind you, with any amount of luck you will, I wonder if your arthritis will oblige?) Good luck and please let us know how you get on. If I could cross my fingers I would. :wink: DD
  • Doubleouch
    Doubleouch Member Posts: 33
    Hi
    I would say what you are most comfortable in, if that is a suit then go with it
    I have never been to a tribunal but know a few people who have, and they all have said it can be stressful (not wishing to worry you ), so if you are wearing something that is comfortable that is one area you do not have to worry about
    Wish you good luck with youf tribunal, fingers crossed it turns in your favour,you certainly have had a lengthy wait/fight .
    x
  • bluebunner
    I am struggling with my mobility (the words of my OA consultant who replaced my right knee almost two years ago), and I don't go out much because it hurts when I walk, even a short distance.

I have a mobility scooter for when I do need to go anywhere and use it for football matches, shopping malls etc.

Does anyone think I should go on the scooter or would the panel just think I'm putting it on?

Access to the venue is either steps or a rather long and winding ramp, use of either would suggest my mobility is not as bad as I say it is?
  • dreamdaisy
    If you use a scooter then use it on the day, it will give further evidence to support your claim. DD
  • bluebunner
    Does anyone know what "severe discomfort" actually means?

Is there a DWP definition?

What do other forum users say it is?

My head is getting full of things that I may be asked, very stressful now.
  • dreamdaisy
    How on earth can pain be qualified or quantified? :? I would count what I feel as 'severe discomfort' because every movement I make during the day and night is accompanied by fruity bursts of pain on top of the usual background level. Pain is as individual as us but those who are assessing us probably aren't feeling much in the way of any discomfort; I could remedy that. :wink:

I must admit I don't fret about things I can't change or control, I have years of severe discomfort to thank for that. Have a read through the Benefits and Working Matters forum on here, you should find others' experiences which may help to prepare you a little better for your upcoming appearance. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    I think the term 'severe discomfort' is about as unhelpful as that scale of 'Rate Your Pain 1-10' beloved of health professionals.

Just relax and tell it like it is. You can do no more.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bluebunner
    I had an ATOS medical at home in January, what a joke that was.

The examination took about 5 minutes and he didn't touch me at all.

He asked me to stand and then raise my arms, do some other movements, at the end he asked me to walk to the door, I did, it was 2 steps away, he then asked me to come back, another 2 steps, then he said "thats it all finished".

In his written report he states I can walk 125 metres before the onset of "Severe discomfort".
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Good luck with your Tribunal.

You know that you're not a fraud and are telling the truth, tell them how it is but as you are on your worst day and you should be fine. Most of the fakers will drop out of the claim process when offered a tribunal so the success rate is in your favor going by statistics.

I would personally go in smart casual to show that I have made the effort to represent myself, I would also use the scooter if this is something you do on a daily basis, this should go in your favor to prove that you cannot get around independently without mobility aids.

Are you taking anyone with you? When I had a tribunal years ago (As a child) I took along with my parents and the local MP who used to be a family friend, I found having someone there that was in a trusting positing helped my appeal a great deal.
  • bluebunner
    Well hello all, bad news I'm afraid, the Tribunal ruled against my appeal yesterday. (Friday).

The Judge introduced the appeal as everything will be focussed on the date of my application, 16 October 2012 so anything after that date would not be discussed.

That, I thought was good and looked forward to a good Tribunal, however the DWP representative in attendance immediately introduced some evidence, a Consultant letter dated in December 2012, I objected but the Judge told me it was OK. He also mentioned information in the medical report of January 2014. That stated I could walk 125 metres.

The Doctor on the panel discussed the medical report as well and told me he personally knew the surgeon who did my new knee op and he was "THE KNEE MAN" (this is true as he is in the top five in the country).

I told the panel how the ATOS doctor assessed the distance I could walk - he asked me to walk to the living room door a distance of two paces, then return to my chair, a further two paces. He assessed the 125 metres on that test? The Doctor on the panel told us all that he knew how the doctors did the assessments and mine was acceptable.

I was given quite a grilling actually by the three members of the panel and eventually given their verdict after a short break of about ten minutes.

There was no way I could argue so went home accepting that was what I expected anyway.

However, this morning after sleeping (not) on it all I decided to question the way the hearing went, especially the part where it was supposed to be all about the date of application then went almost immediately to just a few months ago.

I've written for a Reason for Decision and a Record of Proceedings. Once received I will consider them and maybe request the help of the local Welfare Rights Department. They are always happy to have a look at stuff to see if they recommend requesting a reconsideration or send to the Upper Tier.

Watch this space for updates as and when I have something to say.

I know you were with me all the time so I thank you all for that.

Take care all.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    Thanks for the update, bluebunner. I'm sorry it didn't go your way.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    I am so sorry too that things didn't go your way, keep us in the loop how you are doing.
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Sorry to hear that, blue. :( I believe you only have to wait a short while after losing an appeal for DLA before applying for PIP. I have filled in many, many forms on behalf of service users for benefits, so I am more than happy to offer you any help or advice if you do proceed with a PIP application.
  • bluebunner
    Hey Starburst, I never thought of that :)

I emailed the local Welfare Rights and they have replied and offered to look at my papers and the documents I get from the Tribunal so I'll take that route for now, but thank you so much for the offer.

I'm sixty four and one thirds years of age and think that at age 60 I can't apply for anything really?
  • bluebunner
    I meant to say age 65.

The welfare right chap had a quick look at my papers today and said the medical I had puts me in the range for low rate care.
  • bluebunner
    Good afternoon all,

I've made my call to the PIP people and made my claim, should receive the PIP2 in less than 2 weeks time.

I'd appreciate any tips on completing the written application, I will be truthful but is there any specific wording that may help?
  • jen9432
    jen9432 Bots Posts: 37
    Yes, I agree with the gang. Use your scooter to get there, as that is something you would do. Dress as if you were seeing your doctor, clean and neat but not overdoing it.

This is how I use the 1-10 pain scale
    1-2 = mild discomfort (not painful enough to take pain meds)
    3-4 = discomfort (may consider taking OTC pain med, can work with meds, can do most regular stuff around the house)
    5-6 = moderate discomfort (definitely taking pain meds, unable to work, only easy work at home, sitting lots)
    7-8 = pain (take pain meds, unable to do anything physical, see doctor)
    9-10 = worse pain I've ever had (go to emergency or doctor immediately)

I don't know if this helps, but that is how I figure out my numbers.

Good Luck and don't be nervous, the tribunal is full of regular people who want to help.
  • bluebunner
    I had a look at the PIP questions and none mention pain, severe discomfort or anything to do with pain. Does this mean that if you can walk say 40 metres, even in lots of pain they say you can walk 40 metres do you get the points for walking 40 metres?
  • bluebunner
    Received the reasons for decision and record of proceedings this morning.

They clutch at straws to avoid deciding in my favour, using their own personal opinions and assumptions against the real medical opinions and medical facts given by my consultants.

If I was the Judge I would have awarded in my favour but that could be a one sided view :roll:

I think there are some errors in law but I'll give the papers to the Welfare Rights team for them to look over and decide if I should go to the Upper Tier.

I'll keep you all informed. :D
  • dreamdaisy
    If you can walk the required distance albeit in pain they will say that you can walk the required distance. I have yet to be switched onto PIP but I would have thought that somewhere there is a place for extra information you can give - state you use a scooter to enable you to get from A to B. DD