OA & red hot knees

Vdonn
Vdonn Member Posts: 17
edited 7. May 2014, 03:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have OA of both knees & right hand, is it common for them to get red & very hot? Have been to my Doctor so many times recently that I hope it is not something else to be looked into. Any ideas would be helpful

Thank you
VDonn

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Are they swollen? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Vdonn
    Vdonn Member Posts: 17
    No not swollen but my ankles do by the evening, its just the burning that comes & goes, like my knees have got a high temperature
    V
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    My right knee gets like that especially if I have been walking up and down stairs. I know there is a problem with my knee as I got an exploratory op on it thirty years ago which showed the lining was damaged, I think now my knee is bone on bone. I know how you feel about the Doc but I think you need to get it checked out before it gets any worse................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hello Vdonn
    You must keep a diary of all that is going on, I have had 4 years of OA but I have always thought there was more going on ..I saw a rheumy last week who thinks the same after he checked my knees to say they felt hot to touch..and swollen wrist ...so you ask to be referred to one..good luck
    Love
    Barbara
  • lynnoot
    lynnoot Member Posts: 52
    This sounds very similar to what I was saying in another post. I've had RA for 12 years and all is meant to be under control; But my feet and ankles swell and burn and get hot. Also my knees are red and hot by the end of the day.

I don 't know if this means I have OA as well as RA, or you have RA as well as OA.
  • bluebunner
    bluebunner Member Posts: 43
    I think heated knees are a sign that the body is repairing itself and sending all it can to the site of pain.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    My OA pain in my knees feels like a fire or someone ramming red-hot pokers through the joints; they do not feel hot to the touch and neither do they turn red. When my inflammatory auto-immune arthritis was active my knees would swell, feel hot to the touch and be slightly pink-ish in colour. Arthritis is a weird and not-so-wonderful disease, it could be that your joints are reacting at the end of the day to life's activities, do you take any form of pain relief? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben