Newly Diagnosed

Options
Erica67
Erica67 Member Posts: 2
edited 5. May 2014, 15:54 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everybody my name is Erica and I've recently been diagnosed with osteoarthritis. I'm in pain pretty much all of the time and am taking co codamol 30/500's to help with this, they are not so effective these days :(
I'm hoping to get some advice on the site about living with this condition.
Arthritis is increasingly affecting my mobility though I'm able to work part time for the moment.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, I have two kinds of arthritis, an auto-immune one (psoriatic arthritis) and the joint damage from that has led to OA in both ankles, both knees and both hips. I empathise with the pain and mobility issues, I am now reliant on a rollator for walking longer distances (such as going shopping) and crutches for shorter ones but after seventeen years of it I am used to the pain. I keep the relief to the minimum because that leaves me an escape route for the tougher times and I find pain levels a useful feedback - I know when to stop an activity before things get too bad.

It's good that you are able to work at the moment, what do you do? Are you able to sit and/or rest when required? How old are you, which joints are affected by the OA and do you use any walking aids? I apologise for all the questions but a little more background will help us better target our answers. There are over eight million people in the UK with OA and there is not much available in the way of treatment; it comes down to pain relief, maybe anti-inflammatory medication and exercise to help keep the muscles as strong and flexible as possible. One of the trouble with taking constant pain relief is that the body adjusts to the effects and you find you need more and/or stronger meds to gain a reasonable level of ease - and of course the pain always comes back. It's not easy.

As it's a Bank Holiday the forum will be pretty quiet but hopefully someone else will spot your post and reply. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to the site too, I was diagnosed with OA in my neck last July along with two prolapsed discs. I'm currently on sick leave after surgery. I sympathise with you over the pain, I've had a few different drugs regimes since I first saw my GP last April with neck pain. As unfortunately the surgery did not resolve the pain issue he has just reviewed my meds again and finally something seems to be helping., I am on 500mg of naproxen twice daily (nsaid), 30 mg of duloxetine (for nerve pain) , something for my stomach and I have just bern taken off co-dydramol and put on to meptazinol 200mg 4 times a day and paracetamol. Over the past year I have been on a few different combinations and it seems to be a case of having to try different things until you find the regime tbat suits you as well as finding out what are your triggers and how you can adjust ways of doing things to try and manage the pain, I agree that it is a warning about doing too much.
    This site is great, I'm not a forum person but so glad I joined this and I recommend the helpline too.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Doubleouch
    Doubleouch Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Hi
    Another OA sufferer here.. can fully understand how you feel, I also have FMS and Asthma the asthma prevents me from taking anti-inflam tabllets, so its good old Tramadol and paracetamol,amitriptyline of a night to help with sleep
    I use 2 elbows crutches indoors/wheelchair outdoors
    I am still trying to come to terms with how much I can do in a day and always seem to overdue things and end up fit for nothing for next 3 days
    X :roll:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Erica and a warm welcome from me another OA sufferer for the min...ie they are doing more scans ...Im so glad you have joined us,I have been on the forum for around 4 years now and got so much information ..this is very handy when going to see consultants.. :) and we all love to support one another so just jump in...LWA is were you can ask questions or get support and chichat is were we talk about anything but... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Erica
    Welcome to the forum
    I've got OA as well......hips, spine, neck and ankle
    Do you use any aids for walking?
    As someone said a little more info would help us to help you
    Love