pocket duties please tomorrow

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 10. May 2014, 16:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I am off to see the Consultant again tomorrow for my review at 6 weeks post dislocation of my LTHR. I am feeling quite nervous of what he will or maybe worse, won`t say! I need some proper reassurances that it won`t happen again, or what he plans to do to prevent a repeat dislocation, so i can discuss this with my manager and at the Occ health meeting on Friday.
I have done everything he has told me to do at the last appointment, eg attending physio and doing the exercises at home. In addition I have been going swimming, and to an exercise class in the pool (similar to hydro but water not as warm) and trying to increase my walking (using a crutch still though) I have tried to go down to a stick but found I am limping/rocking when I walk so went back to one crutch, which i am sure he won`t be happy about!
My hip still moves in the socket and scares me for example in bed if I try to turn over to find a more comfortable position, or it has happened when getting up from sitting, (on a raised seat) so I don`t want to be fobbed off with "off you go and get on with things /it `should not happen again" as it has happened twice at very late post op timings.
I need to be assertive and not sit there saying nothing and then feel upset when I get home! Mr NB is coming with me.
Support needed please x
NB

Comments

• bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'll be in your pocket my dear!! Hope it goes Okay, having your OH with you should help! I find if I take my OH with me to appointments the Consultant seems to discuss and explain things more than if I was alone!
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    So hope it all goes well for you. I can well understand how you feel the need to be cautious
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    I will be there NB,hope all goes well. Mig
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Count me in NB, keeping fingers crossed for a positive appointment......................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Count me in....hope it goes well!
    Deb x
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Thank you all for your support, it really is appreciated.
    I am trying to keep positive. I will let you know how it goes.
    NB
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Aww good luck NB, I can understand how worried you must be,I will have everything crossed that he can reassure you ..you take care..pocket duties here I come..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I'll be with you NB, I hope all goes well. Good luck.
    Numpty
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    I'll be there, too, NB. Hope it goes well for you.

Meg
  • lily
    lily Member Posts: 160
    Options
    Count me in as well NB good luck xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi NB
    I'll be there as well {as long as your pocket as room for one crutch anyway :lol:
    I think Mr NB being with you will be a big help. I find that I'm so busy trying to remember {even with a list} the things to ask him that he says some things that I don't take in completely :?
    My OH remembers so its usually "what did he say about ???" when we get out :lol:
    He doesn't remember what to ask him :wink:
    Looking forward to hearing your report

Love
    Hileena
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks Barbara, Lily, Numpty and Hileena
    I will have to get a coat with a lot of pockets I think!! :lol:
    I don`t take a list anymore as once I did to one of my appointments and was made to feel a nuisance and silly for taking one. I hope I remember to come away with all the information I need for my peace of mind and for my manager.
    I wish my appointment was first in his clinic, but no, 3.15pm! :roll: So expect a long wait everyone!!
    NB
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Good luck, NB. Stay strong, tell him the facts and ask if anything can be done either by you or him to prevent further dislocation. Of course you will be worried if it's happened twice. However, I doubt anyone in their right mind would give an assurance that it won't happen again. I've never dislocated either of my THRs but that doesn't mean to say I never will. We deal with percentages. Tell him what's involved in your work. I hope it goes well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi NB
    Can you not jot down some bullet points on a scrap of paper or small notebook and be reading them while you are waiting for your appointment? :wink:
    My eye doc saw me with a list one time {it was normal with all other consultants} :? and he promptly said "No notes thank you, I'll ask and you answer :x "
    Ever since that I've still made notes, albeit short ones and kept looking at them while waiting :lol: then passed them on to OH when I went in....hoping he could scan them and remind me if I hadn't asked something :lol:
    Good luck
    Love
    Hileena
  • Megrose489
    Options
    Hope it's going well for you, NB.

I always make notes and have had the same response from one consultant as you, Hileena. I'm afraid it put my back up before the consultation had even begun! I still make a list of questions I want to ask though and just keep it in my hand. On the NHS Choices site it recommends that patients write down questions so as to make the most of their appointment.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Of course patients are a nuisance but the trick is not to let them annoy us. I hope that it was a positive appointment for you and that you are easier in your mind about the future. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    I had my appointment with the Consultant yesterday, well I saw the registrar first, who to be honest didn`t know what to do with me! He asked how I am, asked about physio etc.. and when I asked about things to avoid/ restrictions to prevent any further dislocations, especially when carrying out my work role, he went off to find the consultant. Good! Now, my consultant sensed my worries, and spent a long time examining my hips, and talking things through. My hip muscles are smaller than normal hip muscles because of my under developed hip sockets , and therefore my THR`s are at higher risk of dislocations than other people without dysplasia as it is the muscles and ligaments which keep our THR`s in place. So he said keep on with the physio exercises, for life. He doesn`t want to do anything surgical at this point as this will only make the muscles weaker and could mean I could still dislocate afterwards. However if the hip dislocates a 3rd time, he may need to think of doing something.(let`s hope not!)
    Regarding work, he said if I am happy to try , then he will support me doing so. I need to avoid low seating , bending down to the floor level and crossing legs for life, but as work have got me the advised equipment from Access to work, I am ok to go back and give it a go.
    He want to see me again in 3 months as the recovery from this is 3-4 ,months which explains my continuing pain in my hip socket.
    I had my Occ Health appointment today, and felt empowered to put my case across. The nurse was surprised that I was ok to go back, as my manager`s referral letter was pointing to them doing a capability assessment! The nurse said she could see that all my sickness has been genuine and medically certified, (ie I am not a faker!!)She said to remind my manager at the HR meeting next week that i am covered by the DDA and is writing back saying I can go back on a phased return, and after a moving and handling assessment for my new equipment.
    I want a copy of the referral from my manager and of the report form OccHealth, but have to request them from my manager.
    So I will go back to physio next week, and then to see HR and my manager afterwards,with my union rep in tow.
    Thanks for your support xx
    NB
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Blimey, NB, that sounds like a good appointment but, maybe even more important, you sound to have taken control of this and made sure you got answers to your questions. Well done, girl! I like the sound of both your consultant, who gave a very full explanation, and the registrar who knew when to refer you to a higher authority. Are you happy with the outcome?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Not a bad appointment NB, I'm glad to see you he ask the consultant to see you,we never know how these things are going to go..I suppose you are now used to the higher seats and not bending down..good luck with your workplace..and I will have everything crossed for you xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Megrose489
    Options
    Sounds like a positive appointment, NB. Pleased that things went so well.

Meg
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Well done you on getting the support and answers you needed, and on being able to return to work. Hope it goes well.

I had a post surgery review recently, I saw the registrar, told him I was still getting a lot of pain. He asked me one or two other questions and then told me to start reducing my pain relief. I explained I had tried but couldn't and he told me to see my GP to discuss this.

Saw my GP whose reaction was that it was "ridiculous" that I had been told this and thst if I needed pain relief, I needed pain relief. He did review my meds and increased them.
    So good to hear that your consultant listened and gave you the time you needed.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Good morning!
    Hi Sticky, yes it was a good appointment, and it has made me feel more confident to move forward, or at least give it a try! He acknowledged my long term issues and discussed how we will try to manage them. I am seriously considering writing a letter of thanks for his time at this appointment , as he has really helped me, and I know that not all Consultant will give their time so freely and others could have made me feel like I was a time waster and tried to fob me off.
    Hi Barbara, thanks for your reply. We are lucky to have our Consultants at Wrightington, as I saw that you had a good experience with your Rhemy there too.
    Hi Slosh, I am glad that you have a supportive GP. It helps to have someone on your side.
    Take care all xx
    NB
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    NB so glad you had a good appointment, it is comforting when you have a consultant that you know really cares about their patients, my Neurologist is like that he goes the extra mile and really knows his stuff. Good luck with work I am sure you have got a bit more confidence now................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • jeanniep
    jeanniep Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Hi NB,
    Glad your consultant gave you time and some answers. Also that you have sorted out adaptations/equipment for work. Hope all goes well for you return, and your wayward hip stays where it is meant to.

Last time I "saw" my consultant for a followup, he kept sending the registrar out to ask me questions, and as I was asking questions too, the poor man was to-ing and fro-ing like a pendulum. Still not sure why, though a strange image kept popping into my head of the consultant, sitting in his underpants cutting his toenails... :roll:

Take care,
    Jeanniep