Hi fellow arthritis sufferers

Options
Cookok66
Cookok66 Member Posts: 2
edited 10. May 2014, 08:20 in Say Hello Archive
My name is Phillippa and I am 47 years young. I have broken both my ankles and they have been plated and pinned. I have also had other breaks in my feet. I have been having injections in my left foot to see if they can control the intense pain I get especially in my left foot. They have been sort of working but saw the registrar last week and he suggests that I need these special shoes which you can't get on the nhs. They are rocking shoes. He suggested going to sketchers which I did and the shoe didn't help at all. The arthritis I have got is where my toes join the foot. So every time I walk I am in pain. Any ideas folks as to what are the best shoes to go for which have the rocking base/sole.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I fear I won't be of much help. I have OA in both ankles, both knees and both hips, and my creaky body can't cope with MBTs (and the like) because I have too many affected joints. My toes are affected by my other arthritis (an auto-immune one) so I am now 'relegated' to Crocs and the like (plus I need walking aids).

Once one joint is out of kilter then the knock-on effects are multiplied (this is the case with me). How did you break both ankles? Were the breaks at the same time? And are the injections steroid-based? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hello and welcome from me, too.

My own feet have been rubbish for years (RA) and I've had to wear surgical shoes since my early 20s. They're not so quick to offer them nowadays as there are a lot of good, supportive ones on the market but I wonder if an orthotist could help with some bespoke orthotic insoles for your new shoes. Maybe worth a try. Ask your GP to refer you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Doubleouch
    Doubleouch Member Posts: 33
    Options
    I had to have 'rocker shoes' well boots in my case and they were done on the NHS, they were awful and I cried all the way home, I have worn them twice. They do not help with walking at all,and I have never gone back
    I wear wide fit trainers/shoes nowdays but am an outside wheelchair user soo they are only really to cover my feet , more than wallking in.