osteoporosis and RA

Options
lavenderlady
lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
edited 11. May 2014, 13:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
are these 2 health problems connected? I have RA OA Lupus sjorgrens type 2 diabetes and amongst other things under active thyroid when I
was sorting out my prescription online with my health centre I noticed I had been prescribed and extra 2 different medication both for Osteoporosis, my pharmacist said my Dr may have seen in my regular blood tests a change, I'm not seeing my rheumatologist until 30th and don't want to worry my GP who prescribed it as every time I see him I end up worst off with more problems lol anyone else had this medication and why ?? Michelle

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I know that RA can result in osteoporosis. I don't know if it's only the more sedentary lifestyle or if other factors are also involved. Certainly steroids can set one on the osteoporosis route too and we RAers have usually consumed them at one time or another.

I was diagnosed with it last year but, in addition to 53 years of RA and steroid courses and jabs, I've also had an early menopause and chemo due to breast cancer plus a mother who had it. All these are predisposing factors.

Why not ask your doc for a DXA scan? Thar will determine it one way or another. I'd always want to know what a new prescription was for and why.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I have both but you do really need to discuss with your G.P as I'm not qualified to say yes or no! I agree with Sticky ask your G.P about getting a DEXA Scan done as that's how I found out that I have Osteoporosis.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Lavenderlady

Were you prescribed calcium and Vit D for OP?

Are you able to leave a message for your GP regarding whatever you have been prescribed for OP and ask why. It is a perfectly reasonable question.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Of course, if it's Calcium and Vit D (Though mine come in a combined tablet) your doc might just be taking preventative measures. The NHS reckons everyone over 60 (65?) should have Vit D and maybe he thinks, with your diagnosis, calcium would be a good idea too. However, the only way to be sure is to ask and the the only way to know if you do have osteoporosis is to have a scan.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Michelle
    Sorry I cant help, but I just want to say hope you get some proper answers very soon, I think you have enough to worry about..please let us know how you get on..
    Love
    Barbara