car insurance

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 14. May 2014, 14:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Advice please
I have just signed the paperwork for my new car, giving up on manual and going to automatic. I'm not motability but wondered if when I change my insurance I need to inform them of my surgery/arthritis?
I have followed the advice in getting my car that the physio suggested and once I get some more flexibility in my neck will be ok to drive again. I have got rear parking sensors on my new car and will also be putting on extra mirrors.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It 's a long time since I did car insurance and mine was Motability but, bearing in mind any insurers will use any wriggle-out clause they can, I'd tell them everything upfront. Better a higher premium than an invalid claim :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    You don't have to disclose any health problems for car insurance, what you need to do is contact the DLVA who will asses you on your problems, they will either say you're fine to drive, can only drive under certain conditions such as Automatic gearbox only or they will find you unfit to drive and revoke your licence.

Once that is done you will either have a normal licence or a slightly different type which you should disclose to your insurance.

Personally I wouldn't bother going down either route if you feel that you're safe to drive, its not worth the hassle.
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thanks for that. I have been told that I will be ok to drive once I have some more flexibility in my neck, and before surgery when I asked if I was ok to drive with my dodgy left leg was told yes as long as I could do an emergency stop.
    Thanks for the advice
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    I have a rare Neurological condition and OA in hands, knee and suspect a few other places. I contacted the DVLA and let them know about my conditions, they have put me on a three year licence which will then be reviewed. You could maybe give them a call and explain your situation and see what they say..........................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • mzjones
    mzjones Bots Posts: 38
    Options
    This discussion is interesting... My father is just now starting to suffer from osteoarthritis. The only thing he worries about when driving is his vision :o and that is due to his age. In America good vision is the only condition insurance checks for. I am certain that his arthritis has to be affecting his driving. I wonder why we don't think about that here?
  • Slosh
    Options
    I checked on the DVLA website. It said you only need to disclose OA if you need to use adapted controls.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've told my insurers everything, including the fact that I have a BB; my breakdown service is also aware that I am disabled but as I don't drive very much at all now I hope I'll never need them! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thanks DD.
    You've been busy this morning!
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Have I? :? I'm not aware of it! :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mzjones
    mzjones Bots Posts: 38
    Options
    Slosh wrote:
    I checked on the DVLA website. It said you only need to disclose OA if you need to use adapted controls.

That makes a lot more sense!