One thing I've learnt (again!!!)

Options
scozzie
scozzie Member Posts: 333
edited 13. May 2014, 14:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi again all

I think my subject line sums things up for me at the moment!

As some of you may remember I have OA in quite a number of joints -- shoulders, elbows and hips excluded (so far and hopefully forever)!

Before I go on, my apologies to all who suffer chronic pain on a permanent basis!

Anyway, a few weeks ago I was approaching the view that any lower limb pain I suffered previously was just a figment of my imagination -- there's always at least one stiff and sore joint in my hands -- but for the past couple of weeks my knees, ankles and feet have been letting me know they're real ... no imagination at all! Without taking a break! The situation left me wondering how I'm going to survive 24 hours in transit in four weeks time!

On top of which, yesterday, I noticed for the first time when I've felt a temperature difference in my fingertips that the tips of my right hand were whiter than my warmer left fingertips. So that's something to mention to my doctor next time I visit, along with the lumps I've developed on the palm side of my pip finger joints.

Wishing you all a pain free remission.
Scozzie

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Yes definitely mention them, scozzie. As I remember, it's Oz you're flying to. Try having a look at www.seatguru.com. If you know what type of aircraft you're flying on you can find out which seats give a little more legroom then go back to your airline(s) and ask for them. (You can't have the really good ones by the exits unless you're able to open the doors and help in an emergency but you might get a bulkhead one though it's best to ask and say why as they usually keep them for young children and disabled.) Keep walking about the aircraft to stretch your legs. I hope your joints enjoy the climate.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello scozzie
    I have had 4 years of OA and only recently pushed to see a rheumy because of the joints that have joined in, I had a brilliant appointment and so glad I went sown that route at least if they don't find anything more I know I have done my best...so you push for an appointment to see a rheumy ..good luck with it and have a good trip...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    Thanks Sticky and Barbara

I'll look into that site Sticky, and yes it is Oz we're flying to -- we're flying with a certain airline based in Dubai direct from Glasgow (dunno if I'm allowed to mention it's name so I won't). With this international airline you've been able to get seat allocations when the flight is booked for years, which I did. I always request an aisle seat and my wife likes a window seat, fortunately that's possible on a 777 at the rear of the plane, which covers one flight out and the whole trip back. On the Dubai-Melbourne flight on the 380 that's not an option, so my wife misses out on the window, not that she's gonna see much anyway ... I discovered that many many years ago, and being around 6" tall I find the window seat too cramped, and I won't sit in the middle unless there's no choice. On each flight the aisle is to my left which is the side of my more problematic knee, which should help. I will be up within reason, plus at Dubai I'll be doing as much walking as I can in the airport.

I don't find walking too much of a problem, after the first few steps anyway, and I've built up quite some walking fitness over the past few years ... there's no way I'll qualify for a Blue Badge for quite some time! It's sitting and standing still that hurts the most, the walking usually gets the my endorphins working.

It's also going to be interesting to see how joints are affected in Oz, especially in the outback.

Barbara, I've officially had OA for three years ... well it's been painful for three years, I rarely took painkillers before then. I saw a Rheumy when it was diagnosed and each time I saw him the list of joints wanting in on the act increased. Before I was discharged, because there was nothing much more they could do, I had a couple of steroid injections during bad times which helped considerably, unfortunately my trip will start before I can manage another referral to see them about more injections.

When I first saw the Rheumy they did all the usual blood tests, which were all normal, except they wanted me to do another blood sugar test -- which came back normal ... but that kicked my butt into gear to get as fit as possible within OA's limitations. I decided that I was stuck my asthma and OA, but I had a choice about diabetes ... I decided to treat the OA the same way as my asthma -- it might slow me down, but it wasn't going to stop me! Besides I love walking!

Cheers again
    Scozzie
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Good for you, scozzie :D I wish you good flights and a good holiday. Take some pain relief with you. And please let's know how you got on once you get back.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright