Hello everyone!!

mzjones
mzjones Bots Posts: 38
edited 27. May 2014, 23:17 in Say Hello Archive
I am new to this board and arthritis. I am trying to find out more information about arthritis. My father has it and I don't know much about it other than it causes painful joints. My father is up in age 75+ but he is a very active adult. He still works and travels, and aside from needing reading glasses he is quite well. It has been hard for him to understand what is now going on with him. (In his mind he is 50) I am looking forward to learning from everyone on here. :):)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello mzjones. How kind of you to research your father's disease!

I'm guessing, if he's been OK until 75, that he has osteoarthritis. His general levels of fitness will stand him in good stead for coping with arthritis but he may need persuasion that some activities are better than others depending on which joints are affected.
    As a start, you could try downloading some of Arthritis Care's publications http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbysubject . Then, if you've any questions, the Living With Arthritis forum would be a good place to put them. Best of luck to both of you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mzjones
    Thank you! I will check out that forum and the resources you've provided.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    hello mzjones
    And a warm welcome from me, could your father not join us has well..its a brilliant forum for support and info..how lovely of you to do this for him..like I say just ask away and we will try to help
    Love
    Barbara
  • jul
    jul Member Posts: 40
    Hi
    Just wanted to say welcome and am sure you will get lots of advice and support from everyone for yourself and your father :D
  • mzjones
    My father on a forum..... :lol: that scares me.
    My daughter set up a Facebook account for him 5 years ago, and that has been such a learning curve... He's in his mid 70's and does everything through his smartphone. Because of the ease of apps, he can handle things like Facebook and email while still being completely computer illiterate. I also don't live anywhere near him, so i can't walk him though how to do it. So nope, I am afraid you guys are stuck with me :D
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    It's just a thought but a lot of areas run courses for what they term Silver Surfers to help over 60s develop their computer skills so it might be worth looking into this. My sister (20 years my senior) uses the computer a lot including facebook and has recently bought an iPad. Would an option for you Father be to buy a tablet which uses the same operating system as his smart phone and which woukd make it easier for him to access forums such as this.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Arthritis Care has a Facebook page/account or whatever one does with Facebook. As you can tell, I don't do anything with it :roll: Just thought it might be of help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mzjones
    Slosh wrote:
    It's just a thought but a lot of areas run courses for what they term Silver Surfers to help over 60s develop their computer skills so it might be worth looking into this. My sister (20 years my senior) uses the computer a lot including facebook and has recently bought an iPad. Would an option for you Father be to buy a tablet which uses the same operating system as his smart phone and which woukd make it easier for him to access forums such as this.

That is a great idea! I may look at getting him one soon. I honestly don't know how he manages to do all that he does on a smartphone.