A lesson learnt, or pride comes before a bad night!

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 12. May 2014, 06:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Yesterday I went to a friend's 50th birthday party, I felt nervous and nearly bottled it as I would be seeing people I hadn't seen for some time and definitely not since I developed OA and started using a stick. A close friend persuaded me to go and said she would give me a lift home when I was ready as she couldn't stay long.
Well as you do ended up in the kitchen talking and refusing all offers of a chair/ finding somewhere to sit because I didn't want to be that person!
Two hours later came home, hot bath, heat pack etc....being sensible a bit too late!

You can guess the rest.
Next time I WILL take that offer of a chair.
Lesson learnt the hard way
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Slosh, if you've learnt that particular lesson so quickly I take my metaphorical hat off to you. 53 years, 3 TKRs and 2 THRs in, I still often find myself dong exactly that. One reason why is because, as the only person sitting, the alternative is to spend an evening crotch-gazing. I promise you, most are not worth it :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    As I can't stand for longer than two minutes I always sit, and as a result often end up not talking to anyone. Hey-ho, 'tis the nature of the beast. What you are experiencing has the 'technical' term 'payback' and is a very common event on here; the usual rule seems to be the more you enjoy yourself the greater the payback. I hope things ease for you soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh slosh we have all done it..I have now learned to accept the seats offered..not that I go out much ... :roll: we did visited friends that we haven't seen for 5years..and when they saw me on crutches they said OMG what have you done...we email one another every 2 weeks... :lol: sorry that was off key...
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I've taken it easy today and just hope I have a better night tonight before my first physio session which is tomorrow morning.
    I guess as a newbie to the journey of discovery that is arthritis I need to remember that there will be payback if I do too much. Trouble is I'm the sort of person who always tries to push myself to do a bit more than is wise. I realise that arthritis doesn't work that way.
    To recall the science lessons of many years ago
    "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    I used to be as stubborn as they come, I would refuse any type of help simply because I don't like to be treated different and totally understand where you're coming from. But I have now given in and will use wheel chairs in airports etc simply because it's not worth the repercussions the next day.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Slosh wrote:
    "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"

And sometimes it's way beyond 'equal' :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright