Is it worth applying for PIP?

Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
A friend of mine who has experience of applying for this through having a disabled son, and supporting others has suggested I apply for this and has said she will help me complete the form as she thonks I woukd qualify at the lowest level.
I have cervical spondylosis and recently had two discs removed and three vertebrae fused. I am on a high level of pain medication which makes it bearable at best, but at worst I find it hard to think straight or say a coherent sentence. I use a walking stick now as I have developed muscle weakness in my left leg.
I feel that I come within the DDA definition of disability due to chronic pain and also as there are everyday activities that I have been advised to avoid such as heavy housework, gardening, ironing etc and I also have problems using a computer for too long as typing soon becomes painful.
I am going to request a further OH appointment to discuss DDA but on looking at the PIP form don't see how it fits me.
Is it worth applying anyway and should I get something from OH first?
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• brandy192
    brandy192 Member Posts: 73
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi I think you have nothing to lose by applying for PIP just remember to answer the questions as if you were having one of your worst days. There will be a lot of stuff that probably wont apply to you but you may as well have a go even if you only qualify for the lowest rate it is a little extra money and also it can help you get a blue badge and cheap travel passes which are very useful. Best of luck. Sue
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Slosh
    Thank you for your forum posting, I am sorry to hear about the chronic pain you are experiencing. You ask if it’s worth you applying for PIP and should you get something from OH first. I think Sue’s reply to you says it all really.

We are not benefits/welfare rights experts, so to look into this further you might like to talk to your local Citizens Advice Bureau http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ , if you go into their website and put in your postcode, it should bring up your local branch.

You could also contact Turn2us http://www.turn2us.org.uk/ they have a Helpline: 0808 802 2000

You might like to take a look at our publications and resources, here you will find information on Coping with pain, Living with Osteoarthritis and other related topics that may be of interest to you.

If you would like to post on our ‘Living with arthritis’ forum http://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=8 you may find that you will have more responses to your post. The forums are a great way of sharing experiences and gaining support.

Aside from the forums you are most welcome to give us a call on our Helplines: Freephone 0808 800 4050 (Monday-Friday 10-4) here we can talk informally and in confidence. Sometimes a listening, non –judgmental ear can be helpful.

I hope this is of some help.
    Best wishes
    Lynda