I've REALLY done my back in....

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 18. May 2014, 06:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
....and managed to get some kind of malware on my laptop which has destroyed it beyond repair. I do have my iPad but it's not very ergonomic to type on, hence my silence. Ironically, my laptop imploded the day after I submitted my final academic assignment, so maybe it was trying to tell me something!

So, my back is <insert rude word> here. I've been referred for an urgent MRI of the lumbar spine but been told it's likely to be inflammation and boney damage. Ever the optimist, I am praying for 'only' soft tissue problems.

It's disturbing my sleep (sleep? What sleep?) and thus, making me a right grouch, so any tips for comfy sleep would be much appreciated, please and thank you.

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Fingers crossed that it doesn't turn out to be too bad.
    Sorry about your computer,a lot of us have had problems,check out the thread on chit chat.glad you managed to get your assignment in.
    I love my ipad I use it more than computer but then I only type with two fingers.
    Good luck. ((())) Mig
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Sorry to hear about your back and I hope you get good results from the MRI.

If you want some help with your laptop PM me what exactly the issue is and I might be able to advise/help you to fix it, I'm a computer Security student so I should be able to help in one way or another
  • Mormodook
    Mormodook Member Posts: 130
    Sorry to hear that Starburst :( I love my iPad and do as much stuff as possible on it ! Have you tried memory foam for your bed ? Several months back I was in a big flare and I got a memory foam topper . It's great and I've not looked back. I know though that it's not for everyone. Just a pity you can't try one first ! I did my back in last year just before going on holiday ....( I don't think it was connected to my RA ) anyway , I was panicking as we had spent so much on the holiday and I could hardly move. I bought a Velcro body strap thing and that alleviated the pain greatly . I even wore it in my bed again giving me more comfort to sleep. I know I can't say where I bought it but let's say it was easy to find in a shop. Good luck x
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    I'm so sorry to hear this Starburst, about you back and your laptop!
    I actually prefer my ipad, and haven't used my laptop since I got it, but as you prefer your laptop, it's just as well you'd finished your assignments before it died.
    As for your back, I always find heat helps mine on the (thankfully) rare occasions, it gives me trouble.
    I hope you get some relief soon. (((())))
    Numpty
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh blast it. I am sorry to read this, as if you don't have enough on your plate already. At least your assignment went in when it should - I can't help with the back because I am mercifully untroubled by mine. :oops: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    :( It never rains...... I'm so sorry to hear this. I, too, rely on my computer for most things as my fingers were not designed for a touch keypad.

I've no 'back sleeping' tips either other than I would never go back to a mattress that wasn't mostly sprung with the top bit in memory foam. I think you're overdue some good news, Sophie. (((())))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Starburst I'm so sorry to hear about your back it can't be easy to get comfortable, have you tried a 'V' pillow? That does help a little getting comfy with a bad back. And I'm afraid I know too much about malware problems on computers I'm sure you have read many a post from me on this forum. Hope you get some relief soon with your back and that the MRI shows it isn't anything to do with the bones. And hope you can replace your laptop soon.
  • Starburst
    Thank you for the tips, going to try a few ideas as I'm desperate for a full night of sleep.

I have a mattress that is less than 2 years old and it's part memory foam - full memory foam was too expensive. I also have an extra memory foam topper, so I think my bed is about as decent as I'm going to get.

I curled up on the sofa after work today and bizarrely, slept for 2 hours and didn't feel too bad so maybe I need to sleep downstairs!

Thanks for the laptop tips. It was given to me by the disabled students people and it appears the antivirus software ran out, thus allowing something to attack my 'puter. I'm going to see if the company will fix it as my course doesn't officially finish yet, so hopefully the insurance is still valid.

I'm going to neck some codeine and tramadol and hopefully tonight will be more peaceful.

9 more days till the end of my degree, wooooo!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    There are good, free protection thingies on the web - once your protection has expired it doesn't mean it isn't working, it's just that you don't get the updates - or rather that's what Mr DD has always told me. We use AVG for everything and so far so good. DD

PS Nine days? Are we having a party? :wink:
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    When my back was very bad I tried many positions. One that worked was lying on my side with the top leg bent resting on a pillow. Another was lying on my front (I know it's weird but I worked out that I was in least pain, not saying much tbh, when I was in that position at the physio) with a cushion/rolled up towel under my ankle so that my feet were at 90 degrees not straight out.

I have to admit to resorting to using pain meds and valium too. I did find that the sleep inducing effects of codeine/tramadol worked quite well for me. Is it "just" back pain or does it extend down your legs? If it does then amitriptyline might help with the sleeping and the nerve pain.
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Very sorry to hear about your back. I'm not sure that back pain and sleep go together at all. I have a friend who hangs in an anti-gravity chair for an hour or so and swears by that. OH sleeps on a hard surface but not much works for me, except heat. I would suggest having some physio, a good physiotherapist can work wonders.

Congratulations on finishing your degree! Only nine days to go, that's a tremendous achievement! Hopefully, the adrenaline from that will over-ride some of the back pain :D .

((()))
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Ah yes, I forgot. When I slept on my front I had a wheat pack in the small of my back. I also forgot that my third position option was on my back with a pillow under my knees.
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Hi Sophie, your nearly there!Hope you sort something soon. I sleep on my sofa in my room, I find it more comfy than my bed.
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • Starburst
    I'm feeling considerably better. I'm over my pain crisis and back to my 'normal' lower back pain. My MRI scan is looking like it will be about a month away. I'm not desperate to find out to be honest, ignorance is bliss. :wink: Apart from injections into the joints, I've been told it's unlikely that anything can be done, so I'm just going to have to accept things the way they are. Accepting that I am not going to improve and magically become less disabled is far from easy but it is what it is. Can't go backwards, can only go forwards!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Sorry I am late seeing this, I do hope that MRI brings you some positive answers and that now the pain is easing you can get some well earned sleep..good luck with your laptop x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Sophie - I read this in effort to catch up on your news. I use an iPhone a lot of the time because I find it easier than a key pad on my finger joints. Can't afford an iPad but I have an old MacBook. My son got a PC from the disabled students place too but his imploded after only six months, confirming what he was already sure of - only Macs are reliable. I get a very bad back every now and then - the physio told me it was my L5&6 wear and tear - she could feel it when she walked her hand down my spine. It is only bad for short spells (several weeks at most) a few times a year. I'm never able to with out why but I find very soft sqishy pillows around me in the night helps a little. Also gentle movement, strong pain meds and a visit to the chiropractor usually sort things out. I know just what you mean about not knowing. Good luck with the final few days of studying. Mat x
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Sophie, your attitude to all this will get you a long way and, indeed, has done already. I wish you all the best both medically and academically.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright