How can I tell?

Options
Agape
Agape Member Posts: 76
edited 15. May 2014, 06:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Can anyone help, not sure what is going on here!
In a very shortened account, I experienced what I think was a flare by having pain in every joint everything hurt. Then the next day, I had searing nerve pains in my SI where I have moderately/severe osteoarthritis. This I think gave me the groin pain where my leg just gives way as it's extremely painful to go upstairs, in turning or sudden movements. I have discomfort down the side of my leg and didn't know if all of this was a groin strain or if something was happening to my SI. I have an apt to see my GP this morning but wondered if anyone else had had this?

Thank you for any thoughts/advice on this :)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm sure you've done the right thing by booking an appt. with your GP. He's the one trained in diagnostics. I hope it goes well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Agape
    Options
    Hi, seen Dr, he didn't examine me majorly but he said it's the SI giving me problems, upped my pain killers etc.

What I don't understand is why does the side of my leg hurt, on the hip bone as well as pain radiating down into my groin and leg? What has this to with the SI? So confused with all this.

Thanks for responding :)
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I can't give you a definite answer but we are all aware that the site of the pain isn't necessarily where the cause is. A prime example, in my own situation, was when I was referred to the 'foot' orthopaedic surgeon because the pain in my ankle was excruciating. It turned out that the ankle was fine but the old TKR above it had (a)disintegrated and (b)shifted out to the side.

If you already have arthritis in your hip then the groin pain could be from that but it's quite possible that it's all what's called 'referred pain' ie we compensate for pain in one area by walking / holding ourselves differently and that causes pain in another.

See how you get on with the increased pain meds. If yours is referred pain then relieving the source a bit might ensure the rest disappears. If you've no joy then go back to the GP.
    Steven Wright
  • Agape
    Options
    Thank you Stickywicket, I am always worried about taking more meds, but will do and see how I get on. Thank you for you post. It is so great to know that there are people out there that we can chat to that have the same kind of problems and experiences. Hope you are well. :)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Agape
    I was wondering if you have had your hips x -rayed just in case..the pain I get from the s1 radiates down the back of my leg, but like SW say pain can be referred to all sorts of places..hope you get some relief very soon..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    My sacro-iliacs have been miserable for years but my hips are recent additions to my arthritis party (and with them it's OA). The right one kicked off in January 2013 and the left has just arrived. I know what's what with that one because of what my GP diagnosed in Jan 2013: I have the groin pain, pain down the outside of the leg (especially when I lie on it) but the SIs are just the same, pain 24/7. It's not fun. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    What happens is that the inflammation etc pushes on the nerves leaving the spine that go down your legs. This is why you get pain in the hip etc. Have a look at a dermatome map on the web. Alternatively, as SW says it could be referred pain which is similar but different! Have you been offered anything for nerve pain like amitriptyline/gabapentin? I found that I had to ask for them rather than them being offered but they worked well on my nerve pain.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hope you feel better soon.Mig
  • Agape
    Options
    Hi everyone, sorry for the late reply, but last night I was in sooooooooo much pain my words would have been all jumbled up because I couldn't think straight. Today however, I am feeling better, so I will continue to rest and hopefully I will be ok to work next week.

Thank you for the info, didn't think about the inflammation pushing on the nerves, thank you, that really helps me understand what's happening.

I am on Pregabalin, Dr has upped my dose, but I feel quite dizzy at times and very sleepy! As this drug takes a while to kick in I also take co-codamol and Dr gave me tramadol if things get really bad. I haven't needed these bad boys yet!

Thinking of you all.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I don't know if dizziness could be a side-effect of your meds but, if it persists, ensure your GP is aware of it, agape.
    Steven Wright
  • Agape
    Options
    Stickywicket, yes, I was going to call them tomorrow as I was a bit concerned. I have had a dodgy tooth and wondered if this was the cause of it.
    How strange, my husband came home tonight and he has suffered with bad SI pain today, we r both in the wars. :(
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    Just another thing... I was given tramadol when my back problems started when "all" I had was nerve pain. They don't work at all on nerve pain but they do make you sleepy enough to sleep in short bursts! Chock full of nasty side effects too, or they were for me!
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Let's know how you get on, agape. And deal with the tooth too. They can cause all sorts of problems if neglected.
    Steven Wright