Toes

Options
FionaP
FionaP Member Posts: 39
edited 27. May 2014, 11:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Good morning all,

I was diagnosed with erosive inflammatory OA in every joint last year, they are now questioning this and I'm having further tests for RA next week.
Anyhow....I had a flare up in April that has caused more damage to my hands, elbows, knees and feet, in that the pain in sooooo much worse.
I have been put on steroids until I see the Rheumy which could be anything from 6 weeks to 3 months.

So, I woke up this morning and I am unable to move 2 toes on my left foot, or put my foot down, without excruciating pain.

Has anyone had something similar, what was it? what did you do for it?

Thank you for reading xx
Fi
x

Comments

• FionaP
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Me again,

Having just had to walk for a while, I realise the pain is from the ball of my foot below my second and third toes.
    Fi
    x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I can't actually remember a time when I could distinguish between which bits of my feet were hurting but, yes, it's very painful and I'm sorry the pred isn't working for this bit of you. (What dose are you on?) I think your GP is doing the right thing by referring you to a rheumatologist. If things get unbearable, in the interim, go back to see about upping the pred or pain relief. And wear good, supporting shoes such as trainers and definitely not slippers.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • FionaP
    Options
    Hi Stickywicket,

Thanks for your reply, my right foot/ankle is normally the bad one, and as you say, it is usually difficult to distinguish individual toes /fingers etc.

I'm on 1000mg naproxen, 10mg pred plus dy-codomol. I only started the pred on Thursday so am assuming it's taking it's time to fully kick in. Although I will say, my brain is a lot more alert, the fog seems to have been lifted, if that makes sense.
    Fi
    x
  • FionaP
    Options
    Oh yes, I forgot to say, I can't wear shoes at the moment due to pain in my feet, toes/tops and ankles.

Maybe my brain isn't as clear as I thought! :lol:

x
    Fi
    x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I guess the doc could increase the pred but, personally, I'd give it a bit longer yet.

So, are you going barefoot? If so, your floors must be cleaner than mine. If I try it I usually find a stray bit of something hard but invisible :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • FionaP
    Options
    Yes, I'm going to leave it a bit longer before speaking to doc.

I'm wearing big fluffy socks, when my feet aren't on fire. They're great for cleaning the floor :lol: but like you I am always finding that hard something to stand on. Usually something the dogs have been chewing, so there's an added layer of slobber! :oops:

Fi
    x
    Fi
    x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I can no longer identify what's hurting, just that the whole lot does. I have PsA-affected toes, OA-affected ankles and heels troubled by Achilles tendonitis (left) and plantar fasciitis (right). My big toes occasionally spasm (or rather the muscles do) and that's miserable. I go barefoot or wear my Crocs (they absorb the impact of walking which I appreciate). I can move my toes but it hurts so I try not to. :wink: Once joints are out of kilter that alters how we move thus throwing others out. Do you use any walking aids? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • FionaP
    Options
    Hi Daisy,

I use a walking stick, which is helping me get around and people seem more courteous and understanding then when I'm hobbling along slowly without it. However because of the arthritis in my fingers, wrists, elbows etc. etc. you know the story, it hurts other parts to use it, but it means I can get out and about a bit so that's fine with me.

The main reason I posted on here today is because I normally can't distinguish between what individual toe or finger is hurting. So it's quite a shock to feel even more pain than usual and for it to be so specific.

I will have to look into Crocks
    Fi
    x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Anything which acts as a warning sign to others is a good thing. I am now reliant on either crutches for shorter distances or a rollator for the longer excursions and do find people courteous and helpful. I also have affected hands, wrists, elbows, shoulders plus other bits and can completely empathise with the extra pain this can cause us when trying to use aids to help us. We don't lead easy lives, do we? :(

Crocs are not pretty (well, the colours they come in are!) but I find them are very comfy. I also wear trainers, desert boots and walking boots but only with my orthotic inserts. Walking still hurts but at least my knees are pointing forwards! DD
  • lynnoot
    lynnoot Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Have you tried Fitflop sandals? They are ones that don't go between your toes, there are 2 bars that go over the top of your feet

Sorry to hear you're in so much pain, but it's interesting that you have pain all over your feet. I'm in the same boat; the tops of my feet burn like they're on fire in bed; my toes feel as if needles are sticking in them, both my Achilles tendons are so sore and tight. And to finish off my feet swell up if I walk or stand for any length of time.

Am seeing rheumy on Wednesday with an urgent appt. I don't hold out much hope that he will be able to do much. Last time I saw him he sent me to the physio, I think because he didn't know what else to do!

I also have a lot of pain in my neck, and 3 fingers on my left hand are swollen and painful. I think the Enbrel isn't working too well. I'm going to ask if I can go back on a low dose of MTX. Can't take a high dose as it upsets my liver, but it might help on a lower dose.
  • FionaP
    Options
    I haven't tried fitflops, I will look I to it, thank you.

I too an unable to stand for walk for more than about 5-10 mins and they burn terribly at night too!

I have been put on steroids for until I see my new rheumy a week in Tuesday. I'm looking forward to see what ideas he has as the pain is in every single joint large and small plus a tendons. I've recently lost a toe nail and my big toe nails are very lined now and rough. It's scary that all this can happen so quickly.

Let me know how you get on on Wednesday, I hope it goes well for you.

X
    Fi
    x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Are your nails thickening, ridging or discolouring? I ask because that could be a sign of psoriatic arthritis, it's more traditional presentation is that it affects the smaller joints first (such as toes and fingers) and one's nails undergo these changes. I have PsA but mine began in a very different manner and my nails are not too badly affected. DD
  • FionaP
    Options
    Hi DD,
    Only my big toe nails are ridging, my little toe nail has fallen out 3 times now and I've had a nail infection on one of the other toe nails. Most of my pain is my small joints and tendons plus elbows, knees and hairs when it's really bad.
    I have had OA in my back and neck since my twenties and my brother has psoriasis all over since he was about 6.
    I hope the rheumy picks on all of this next week. I have list and my hubby is coming with me. :D
    My dr is convinced it errosive inflammatory OA in every joint ( I've had x-rays of my hands showing OA) and has only been treating it with naproxen, Omeprazole, and pain killers, even though I've had rashes and streaming eyes and can barely walk after a flare up in April. I am really worried that I'm not being treated correctly so went to see a different dr, who made me a urgent app with the rheumy.
    Only time will tell, I suppose.
    X
    Fi
    x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It is possible to have PsA without much of the P , it's my preferred option. :wink: There would appear to be a genetic link via your brother so please ensure you make the rheumatologist aware of the fact that it's in the family; please let us know how you get on. DD
  • FionaP
    Options
    Thank you DD, I will and I will, if you know what I mean :-))
    xx
    Fi
    x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Take your list and ensure the rheumatologist is aware of the family history. I wish you all the best :)
    Steven Wright
  • FionaP
    Options
    Thank you Stickywicket, I will do :-)

x
    Fi
    x
  • FionaP
    Options
    Hello all,

I've just come back from rheumatologist and he as diagnosed RA.
    I have a few questions so will start a new thread xx
    Fi
    x