Numb Foot

Options
Pansy4
Pansy4 Member Posts: 11
edited 13. May 2014, 17:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
I went to my doctor with back pain and a numb left foot. She could find nothing wrong, and referred me to hospital physiotherapist. Do you think my numb foot is to do with the arthritis?

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Pansy

Having back pain and numbness in foot can be connected where a nerve is trapped. I have no medical knowledge though. It will probably take some time to get a physio appt on the NHS. If it was me and the symptoms deteriorate and I was worried by what was happening, I would take myself to A&E where more help is often available or get in touch with my GP again.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • FionaP
    FionaP Member Posts: 39
    Options
    Hi Pansy,

I'm in agreement with Elna.

I have had surgery on my back and one of the first things that alerted doctors that things were getting worse was numbness on my leg and foot. Keep a close eye on things and if it gets worse go to A&E as if it is due to nerve damage you need to get it sorted quickly to prevent possible permanent damage to that nerve.

It may also be worth going to see an osteopath and getting a second opinion.

Fi
    x
    Fi
    x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Do you have any form of arthritis? I don't associate numbness with either of mine but it sounds more like a nerve thing to me - but I am not a doc. (For some reason I typed 'cod' instead - I'm not that either! :lol: ) Let's wait and see what the physio has to say first, they are knowledgeable people and may know where to refer you if they cannot help. Please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Tubby
    Tubby Member Posts: 177
    Options
    I have PsA and I get numbness in my left foot. I have had since I had a steroid injection to get me through the Olympics - no I wasn't competing :oops: - and I probably did too much whilst I was feeling better.
    The medics say numbness isn't necessarily connected to the arthritis and tend to dismiss it whenever I mention it. Considering that it gets worse when my ankle swells up due to the arthritis leads me to believe that there is a connection whatever the medics may say. I think the general advice of shout up if it gets worse is definitely good thing to do. I keep an eye on mine, see a private podiatrist/ Chiropodist regularly (once every 4-6 weeks) to check my foot health and, thank goodness it is generally better than when it first manifested itself after my 2012 Volunteering experience.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Tubby
    I have numbness in the side of my left foot, and I was told it is coming from one of the disc in my back..not a clue why..suppose like Elna say it could be a trapped nerve..I see you said you had an injection there..if it doesn't go away I would ask your GP about it
    Love
    Barbara
  • Tubby
    Tubby Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Hi Barbara
    I have asked the GP, the hospital podiatrist and the Rheumatology Nurses but had no response other than 'we are not sure what that is but keep taking the tablets!'. Now given up asking, as I say, it gets worse when my ankle swells and lessens when my ankle is only mildly swollen which leads me to believe a nerve is being trapped but much closer to my toes.
    I had the steroid injection in my thigh as it was a general one, it didn't appear to do any damage. I have also had one directly into my knee (opposite side of the body) which also worked wonderfully.
    I guess I should be more concerned but it has been like it for two years now and it hasn't got any worse so I have decided to live with it.