PIP and DDA

Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 13. May 2014, 05:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
A friend who has a lot of experience in this area has suggested I apply for PIP and has offered to support me with the process.
I have quite a good understanding of the DDA guidance from my role as a SENCO and do feel that I come within it's definition of disability.
A few queries, to declare myself as disabled, would I need to get this in writing from someone such as Occupational Health?
Should I also ask him if I can be referred to an OT, as I think this may be covered by the school's health insurance?
As I'm also waiting for an emergency ENT appointment due to possible post surgery damage to my throat should I wait to get the outcome of this and an OH review before applying to have as much evidence as possible?
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It's years since I applied for (and was awarded) DLA but, from what I remember, I completed a form detailing my then difficulties and said they could contact my GP, my two consultants and anyone else who could provide further evidence.

You won't know until you try. I don't know what the PIP procedure involves but if you don't ask you don't get (mind you, you probably won't get initially but pursue it and you might). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Thanks DD.
    I am waiting for an ENT appointment which I should have next week to investigate what looks like post op damage to my throat. Next week as well I have a "keep in touch" meeting at school with my head andcI am going to request a further OH appointment as when I last saw them pre-op it was with the belief/hope that the op would resolve my pain and leg issues which it has not done, although my arm is better. I will ask them to put in that report that I meet the DDA definition of disability and can also discuss any equipment that will support me at work. Once I have had both of those appointments I will start my claim as it will give more evidence.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Now that sounds like a very good plan - we like plans. :) I started my own little business in January 1995 and arthritis in April 1997, I flogged on until 2012 then decided enough was most definitely enough. I worked as a private tutor for dyslexics of all ages and abilities, I loved it. I began as a mobile tutor (so I would go to them), then I became a house-bound one (they came to me), then I reduced the amount of lessons per day, then took one day off a week then finally decided I'd gone as far as I could. I don't regret it for one moment but I am fortunate in that my husband can support both of us. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Yes. Plans are good!
    My headteacher has been incredibly supportive throughout all of this. I've been on sick leave since January and while he did give an audible sharp intake of breath when I told him that OH had recommended when I saw them in Jan, that post op I did not return to work until the start of the new school year due to the strain my job places on my neck/arms, he was fine about it especially as I had been on reduced hours since the previous May!
    Re Dyslexia, I got my AMBDA qualification in September!
    Julian of Norwich