Tramadol Questions

Options
sailrib
sailrib Member Posts: 327
edited 13. May 2014, 04:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've just had an appointment about my pain duellers and am now going to have slow release tramadol, I think instead of the quick release tramadol.

A few questions I forgot to ask -

In the night, if I don't take tramodal before bed, only paracetamol, I wake up pretty quickly in a lot of pain but I always wake up at about 3am in pain anyway. Could a slow release one help more with getting a better nights sleep?

I do a lot of watersports which I really want to carry on considering I'm only in my 20s, I find the quick release one good for my watersports as I take it just before I head out on the water.

Is it possible to have both?

Comments

• DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have in the past taken Paracetamol with Tramadol, but only under the advise of my doctor & Rhuemy Nurse, it depends what dose you are on.
    I was on a quite a high dose.

Try taking Tramadol with your tea and paracetamol just before you go to bed to see if that works?
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I take both time-released tramadol and regular tramadol, Sailrib, depending on how painful I am. It depends on your dosage of timed-release and what you are used to; there is an upper limit to the dose on this med. and exceeding this can cause seizures. I would get used to your new medication, before contemplating extra but really this is a question for a doctor as it all depends on our individual metabolism as well as other meds we are on. I tolerate meds really well but quite a few people don't.

Is having this ok'd by your doctor or a pharmacist an option for you?
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi,

I've been on SR Tramadol for a number of years now & I can use regular tramadol as a top up med in a flare because of my dosage. I use paracetamol daily too.

I'd give the SR a try alone for ure sports & if it isn't enough ask ure gp if you can add paracetamol if you aren't prescribed it already & go from there.

The max daily dose of tramadol is 400mg so I've avoided going to that amount on SR so I have 100mg regular for top up wen I really need it.

I think ul be fine overnight with SR. I've, personally, found the use of paracetamol really important. It's use for chronic pain can be underestimated.

Good luck.

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    I agree with Debbie T about the Paracetamol, it's quite safe to take along with Tramadol. I take the sr one in the morning and evening and have 50mg tablets as I need them up to a maximum of 400mg in 24hrs which is the max dose. I also take regular paracetamol throughout the day but not more than about 6 in 24hrs.
    Why not try the sr ones and if they're not enough for you then do speak to your GP and see what they say. Good luck.