No light at the end of the tunnel

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 15. May 2014, 09:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well I've was told this when I saw the neologist way back in 2011 and had really forgotten it until I was told to visit me GP a month or so ago and he reiterated the same view, that is I should avoid any idea of having my knees replaced as the neurological pain will probably get a lot worse so I should try and cope as best I can and just put up with things, not much of a future is it I was slightly shocked which has now turned to a feeling of depression if I'm honest, I wonder how long it will be before I'm a total dock yard case as we use to say at dear old Didcot A power station.

Comments

• villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Mell hang in there mate, you certainly don't want to be living with neuropathic pain 24/7 either. I also have OA in hands a knee and suspect neck and jaw.
    There are new trials going on all the time hang in there bud you have always got us to help you through, you will cope because you are you ..............Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ah, GPs. Those who know a little about a lot but very rarely a lot about a little. The neurologist may have been right in 2011 (and may be right again) but who knows? I know you have knee troubles (on both sides, yes?) but are any other joints becoming affected as a result? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Do you want me to chin him for you rkid? :D
    for my mate Mell I would gladly do it.

Seriously though, I know what you are going through and it's tough.
    You know where I am matey. I wanted to call to see you last week when we were in St Albans but we just didn't have the time.
    Next time we go south I promise I'll make time to see ya.
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I'm sorry, I can't remember where your neurological pain is, mellman. To paraphrase DD, I know a lot about RA and OA but very little about neurology so I can't comment on the things your docs have said, only sympathise.

However, in my extensive travels with RA, I have come to realise that one should never say never. Research goes on, new treatments, new ops and new techniques arrive. Hang on in there.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Mell could you not get a second opinion, there are some good consultants out there..and when I had my THR quite a few of the patients had done there homework ...don't you dare give into this ...we are all here for you to let off steam..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    Options
    I took Toni to her rheumatoid appointment yesterday. I afraid it is looking likely she has inherited my useless bones and joints :roll:
    he happened to mention neurological pain and was saying that there are some excellent drugs in the pipeline. Sadly it doesn't help our mate Mell right now. . But here's hoping they get a move on.
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I think it gets us all like this every now and again, Mell. We hope that things might change for the better as we make changes to our lives in response but then it goes and does it again, refusing to respond in a positive way to our changes. I was told to wait for thee years for new knees and in that time both ankles and both hips have gone. :roll: DD

PS Tony? I am so sorry, mate, blasted genes. Who'd 'ave 'em? :?
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hi Mel,life's a ***** isn't it,hope things pick up soon,am thinking of you and sending hugs.(((((()))))) Mig
  • tjt6768
    Options
    DD.. I'm sporting a fetching pair right now :D xx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Toni I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter...hopefully science will move on and she will be young enough to benefit from it
    And thinking of you Mell and hope the sun eases those knees
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    tjt6768 wrote:
    I took Toni to her rheumatoid appointment yesterday. I afraid it is looking likely she has inherited my useless bones and joints :roll:

Tony, I'm so sorry to hear that. i think it's the worst nightmare of all us parents that our children / grandchildren will inherit our faulty immune system gene. At least Toni will have been onto it straightaway and will get the right treatment from the off if the diagnosis is confirmed. That should make a big difference. I hope so.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hi Mell, how are you feeling now? DD
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Morning Mel, Hugs. Mig. (((())))