Chicken Pox / shingles

Options
Mormodook
Mormodook Member Posts: 130
edited 16. May 2014, 19:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
If you take DMARDs or anti TNF should you avoid people with chicken pox or shingles even if you had chicken pox as a child ?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I don't think shingles is a problem but chicken pox is. Although I'd had it as a child, my rheumatology helpline told me,, when I asked about meeting friends whose granddaughters, living with them, had it, that, provided the children's spots had scabbed over, it was OK to go out with my friends but I must ask them to wash and change before leaving the house :o
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    My take on it is this; when immuno-suppressed one cannot afford to take any risks whatsoever because we don't produce symptoms as quickly as we should. Any infection can get a deep hold before we become aware of it so to be on the safe side stay away until everyone is better. Why court further trouble? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    Options
    I started taking Sulfasalazine at the end of last year - my consultant advised to stay away from anyone with chicken pox/shingles and, if I inadvertently came into contact with it, then to contact my gp for a course of antibiotics!
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    When I went for my new biologic assessment I was told to keep well away from anyone with Chicken pox or Shingles even if I have had either. I illnesses like this can be very server when you're on drugs to suppress to immune system so its never worth it to take a risk
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi,

I was told, wen on mtx, to avoid both & the same wen I started my biologic.

Hope that helps.xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Indeed stay away. It makes no matter if you've had chicken pox or not it stays in your system and can certainly return as either chicken pox or shingles. Nobody appears to know why but when your immune system is at its most fragile its not worth the risk.
  • Mormodook
    Options
    Thanks everyone ! I suspected as much ...... This avoidance is utterly impossible for me in my line of work :x I will need to go to work wearing one of those suits people wear when dealing with nuclear disasters ! I will defo need to talk to my rheumy nurse about this one ! Hope everyone is as pain free as possible ! :D
  • stickywicket
    Options
    If you really can't avoid exposure please contact your rheumatology team asap.
    Steven Wright
  • Mormodook
    Options
    I'm seeing my rheumy nurse to start Enbrel in a couple of weeks . I will tell him then. Just wondering if you can get a vaccine ? The joys of working with kids !
  • stickywicket
    Options
    There is. My 4 yr old grandson in USA has just had to have it before starting kindergarten. BUT it's a live vaccine and we mustn't have them either.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    I came I to contact with chicken pox several times when teaching early years and contacted ending each time, they then advised me what to watch out for and what to do if.........some jobs just carry that risk sadly.
    Deb
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Mormodook wrote:
    Thanks everyone ! I suspected as much ...... This avoidance is utterly impossible for me in my line of work :x I will need to go to work wearing one of those suits people wear when dealing with nuclear disasters ! I will defo need to talk to my rheumy nurse about this one ! Hope everyone is as pain free as possible ! :D

I think they will say that type of exposure is fine but for you to be very careful. If someone in your household had either then I think they usually prescribe a dose of anti viral medication as a precaution to people like us, I was told something along those lines anyway.
  • lynnoot
    lynnoot Member Posts: 52
    Options
    You must avoid having the shingles vaccine; this is as dangerous as coming into contact with infected people.
  • Mormodook
    Options
    dibdab wrote:
    I came I to contact with chicken pox several times when teaching early years and contacted ending each time, they then advised me what to watch out for and what to do if.........some jobs just carry that risk sadly.
    Deb
    That is it in a nutshell dibdab ! I teach early years and chicken pox is rife at 2 distinct times each year ( from my non scientific knowledge it is around October and then April ..... Every year like clockwork !) I have now found out I can get a blood test every time I come in contact..... I should just schedule it every time with the DMARDS !