OA in right hand and wrist

Options
tinkagirl1980
tinkagirl1980 Member Posts: 5
edited 17. May 2014, 07:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello :) Recently joined and been diagnosed with OA in right thumb and wrist, Im only 33 and Im right handed so feeling thoroughly fed up and useless, especially as it is already spreading to my left :( Would be good to chat to anyone to be honest, feeling very isolated and angry and more than a little scared about future outlook!

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry that you have had to find us. I have OA all over the shop thanks to my other arthritis but I manage - I've had years of practice! :wink: I take it that you have seen your GP - what did he (or she) suggest in the way of pain relief or anti-inflammatories? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tinkagirl1980
    Options
    Yeah I have zapain and diclofenac, and a splint off the hospital. The pain has good and bad days, hoping I learn to deal with it as time goes on to be honest. Just struggling getting used to trying to learn to do with my left hand.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    We've all experienced the good and bad days, 'tis the nature of the beast. The cider vinegar thing may well have some benefit (we all vary in what helps or not) so, apart from money, you have nothing to lose in trying. I am fortunate in that I can use both hands but I know that some are very right (or left) dominant and there's little that can be done to change that. Splints have their uses but should not be worn all the time. Please keep trying to use your right hand because the tiny muscles therein will benefit in helping to keep the joints better supported. It's not easy learning to live with constant discomfort. :( DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Hello tinkagirl1980. I just wanted to add my welcome to that of the others. The diagnosis will have come as a shock at first but you will learn to adapt to the disease and you will find plenty of encouragement here.

I was completely one-handed when my RA struck in my fingers first but, as I had O-level exams coming up, I taught myself to write (very badly :roll: ) with my left hand so that I could spread the load between them.

Have you read any of Arthritis Care's publications? (Small grey button, top right.) They have advice on Healthy Living, diet, exercise etc.

Has anyone done any checks on you to ensure it is OA not RA or another auto-immune form of arthritis?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tinkagirl1980
    Options
    wow thanks guys, u all so friendly on here :) and no, dr just examined me and said its OA, could it be RA then? wouldnt she have noticed that at the time? i dont know, just asking :)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    They are very different beasts. Rheumatoid one of the auto-immune kind of arthritis (there are around 200 kinds) and presents with joint pain, maybe heat and swelling. Osteo is the degeneration of cartilage and presents in a different manner. My rheumatologist leaves my OA well alone, and my GP ignores the psoriatic arthritis (my auto-immune one). DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    It's not really a matter of 'noticing' I don't think, but she could do a blood test which wouldn't be at all conclusive but might indicate that it would be worth your seeing a rheumatologist just in case you have an auto-immune form.

OA normally (but by no means always) tends to present first in big joints such as knees and hips. My own RA started in my fingers. Both spread but, as you are still only 33 and yours is spreading fairly quickly, I think it needs monitoring just to be on the safe side. Most GPs will see a lot of OA but won't be as familiar with the auto-immune versions.

Why not read up on some of Arthritis Care's leaflets? It'll give you a better idea.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tinkagirl1980
    Options
    I will definitely have a read up, thankyou. Never knew what the difference was between RA and OA to be honest. Just know the symptoms and pain lol. Looks like I need to go back and see my gp again then...
  • jul
    jul Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Welcome Tinkagirl,
    Agree with the other comments, go back to your GP, maybe they can do xrays aswell. Mine started two years ago in my hands, along with carpal tunnel. Now has found my neck and knees :(
    Hope you get somewhere to put your mind at rest and get your head around what is happening to you.
    Wish you all the best
    Jul
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hello & welcome,

I'm sorry uve been diagnosed with OA.
    I got my diagnosis aged 37 of Osteo (OA) & Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA). I've had Psoriasis since I was 25 then at about 39 I got the fibromyalgia (FM) diagnosis. All such fun ... Not :lol:

It's not the end of the world tho, that's important to remember :wink:

Uve been given great advice from all of the posts above. I don't really have anything to add other than we're here to offer support, you can ask anything & also if you get angry & need to vent .... This is the place to do it :D

Take care ((((hugs))))

Xxx xxX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x