Oooooh! Vicious!

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 17. May 2014, 11:24 in Community Chit-chat archive
There is a great deal of blackbird activity currently going on in our garden; I think there are three males fighting for territory and it properly kicked off (with an enormous battle of beaks and wings) around twenty minutes ago. Luckily for me it took place in the paved 'arena' outside the kitchen French doors so I had a ringside seat. It was nasty.

Two were going at it hammer-and-tongs when the third swooped in to join the fun. It was so vicious, the biting and close-contact wing-beating was astonishing in its intensity. The patio is now scattered with feathers of all sizes but one colour. I hope my favourite one was the victor, he has one white feather in his tail (it's still attached, I've just spotted him pacing the lawn) and I enjoy watching out for him in the early hours of dawn, he shows up beautifully with the flash of white. I think I know where they are nesting too, I think we have two nests, one in the conifers at the end of the garden and one (quite low down) in the star magnolia by the garage side-door; I shall check later. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sounds like a typical night out in Leeds. A load of birds fighting :shock: :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    And nottingham too. Mig
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    The blackbirds in my garden are much better behaved. It's the pigeons I worry about.
    Threesome on the garden fence! Not a good idea.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    All I get is bonking Pigeons in my garden!! But out the front we do get fighting magpies but the noise is awful when they fight!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I think there are three males fighting for territory

Life in a nutshell :roll:

I hope Mr Whitefeather gets to breed. Next year will be interesting.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,926
    Options
    Hello DD
    we have pigeons and foxes in the summer.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Mr Whitefeather has been strutting his stuff so I guess he's still in with a shout (or has shouted :wink: ) We also have blue tits, pigeons, robins, a couple of sparrows (but they are very shy) and a greenfinch or two. There is also a magpie who lurks (mostly in the big tree on the other side of the garages that provide our walled garden).

We now have another problem: bees are hovering around the roof space above our first floor shower room, which is due to be modernised (for that read demolished and replaced) in the third week of July. Bees, birds, mice and spiders: we are far too generous in our hospitality. DD
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    You are more hospitable than I am DD I have only ever have given house room to millipedes and get woken pretty often with seagulls squawking outside my bedroom window, I must be a miserable old git and I plan to stay that way :lol: xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    tjt6768 wrote:
    Sounds like a typical night out in Leeds. A load of birds fighting :shock: :lol:
    I love it... :lol::lol: DD we have witness this here a few years ago, and we found a dead one nearby :shock: ...they are very territorial...
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    The bees are increasing in number. I can see where they are getting in and out, there's a tiny hole in the woodwork under the guttering but I don't know how much space they have within - for starters it's a flat roof. Hey-ho. DD
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Perhaps it's time to take up bee keeping! Be thankful it's not wasps.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich