a new low, bath time woes

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 17. May 2014, 15:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm sure others of you on here have had this problem but its my first time!

I have always loved long hot baths and now find them really relaxing and soothing on my neck and shoulders. I've just started being able to get comfy in the bath again after surgery and it's made me feel more like myself.

Ran a lovely hot bath today, got in and relaxed.
Then I tried to get out. There are handles set into the sides of my bath but even with these I just couldn't pull myself out becaue of the pain in my shoulders and they just didn't up to it.
I did (obviously) manage to get out in the end with a bit of manoeuvring but the whole thing was quite scary as I was on my own in the house.

Fed up as I'd just started to feel a bit more positive about things.

Sorry to waffle on but I just needed to get it off my chest.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Call that a waffle :roll: Precise and to the point by my standards, Slosh :lol:

I have a bath lift courtesy of social services. I think most soc serv. areas are more likely to fit you a shower these days but I've had this and its predecessor for over 30 years. You can buy them from any good disability store. The one disadvantage is that you never get fully in the water and can't lie back - well, you can't with mine - but I'm very unsafe in a shower even with help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thanks SW
    I have got a shower board over the end of the bath and managed to get on that and out. My OA isn't severe enough for social services to be involved. Guess I need to bit a bit of hunting around to see what ideas there are out there. Just shook me up a bit.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Sorry I can't help Slosh as it is a shower I've got. I haven't had a bath in years!!! :shock: .................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ah. Ummmm. I was never a great fan of the wallow-in-your-diluted-bodily-dross-and-enjoy-it school of thought but for those of you who do it must be tough. I'll 'fess up: my last (and very brief) bathing experience was in late 1999. Of course it unsettled you, and understandably so. Our new limitations are always shocking.

Our last house had four bedrooms and one bathroom. Now we have four bedrooms and three bathrooms but only one bath :wink: 'Nuff said, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Slosh
    I'm just plucking up the courage to get into the bath for a good soak after surgery......15 weeks post THR, but 4 weeks into recover I fractured my Greater Trochanter bone......I was told no bath :( I hate a shower so have been having a bath, sitting on a bath board across the bath since that.....saw the physiotherapist yesterday and he said yes I could get in the bath but be careful {I'm still on 2 crutches} getting in and getting out...we wont know if the fracture is healing until the 20th June when I see the consultant and he does an X Ray :shock:
    So I do know how you feel and sympathise.....I wont try it without Peter in the house to haul me out if necessary :lol:
    Love
    Hileena
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I haven't had a bath in a few years either. The last few times, it was difficult pulling myself up so I resorted to turning over so I was on all fours. it was easier to stand up from there.
    Christine
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Christine
    That's how I used to get out {before this fracture} now I'm a bit wary of trying to do that incase I damage it?

Love
    Hileena
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It was good to be able to tell people who would understand.
    Christine I will try your suggestion but will make sure I'm not on my own in the house first. I think it will be sensible not to have a bath on days when my shoulders are bad, a shame as that's when I enjoy one most.
    Julian of Norwich
  • applerose
    Options
    Yes make sure someone is there Slosh. Baths can be slippy places when you move about.

Hope you are able to have a bath once you've seen your consultant Hileena.
    Christine
  • hileena111
    Options
    SUCCESS!!!!!!!
    I decided that I was so fed up with the bath board......sitting there like a pea on a drum :lol: and getting cold....that I was going to get in the bath.....I didn't know how but thought I would try {With hubby in the house}
    So filled the bath, put the bath board across it, sat on it as if that was all I was using, got my legs over, put my forearms on the sides of the bath and lowered myself in....Magic :wink: I put the bath board out on the floor. It was bliss.....soaking for ages....then came the getting out bit. :? I put my arms on the sides of the bath again, the good leg under me and pushed and I was standing up........suddenly realised that I had to use crutches when on the floor so if I put my L leg out and the weight on that {fractured one} it would collapse or if I put the other one out first I would I would be standing in the bath on the bad leg for a few minutes :? Ahhhh!!!!!!.....Bath board.....just beside the bath where I had put it. Brought it in and put it over the bath, sat on it and swung both legs out and onto the floor......done!!!!!!
    I feel great. Much less sore than I was earlier today.
    There are ways and means :lol:
    Sorry that was so long :wink:
    Love
    Hileena
  • applerose
    Options
    Yaay, well done. Bet you feel so much better now.
    Christine
  • jul
    jul Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Hi Slosh
    Sorry to hear about your supposedly relaxing bath. Hope you can find a solution with all the advice on here so you can enjoy it once again. Must have been so worrying for you :(
  • Slosh
    Options
    Applerose, I tried your suggestion yesterday and it did help though I found turning around a bit tricky, I also had to be careful getting up as I have muscle weakness in my left leg. I managed to get up and onto my bath board and then out!
    I'm going into school next week for a keep in touch meeting, I had aleady planned to ask for a further OH appointment to discuss any equipment or adjustments that I will need to manage my role, I'm also going to ask if it is possible to have an OT assessment under the school's health insurance scheme.

Thanks everyone for your understanding
    Julian of Norwich
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry I'm late to this slosh. I too miss a long soak. Having Fibromyalgia as well as 2 types of arthritis, I really don't get the same benefit from a shower!!

I decided to give a bath another try a few months ago ... Traumatic ain't the word!! It's completely beyond my capabilities now :cry:

I'm so glad to read that ure going to ask if you can have an OT assessment.
    Bathing is something I'd cling to for as long as its safe!! :D

((((Hugs))))

Xxx xxX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you. Very reluctant to give up my baths. Showers just aren't the same.
    Julian of Norwich
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Slosh
    I understand.....I wouldn't want to give up my baths either.....like I said I just got in for the first time in 4 months :shock: last night.
    Its still not easy but I managed but still wouldn't try without OH there.
    I do hope you get equipment to help you.
    Love
    Hileena
  • applerose
    Options
    Fingers crossed you get your equipment sorted and hope you get your OT assessment.
    Christine