Foot appears to be stuck in a weird position!

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 23. May 2014, 04:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
With the arrival of hot weather on Thursday, I decided I could not continue to wear my boots any longer and went into my summer shoes. (They are good, supportive shoes with orthotics.) I knew I'd have some pain and I did some spectacular tripping over but otherwise, I was fine and I spent most of the weekend pottering at home in my crocs, as usual. However, despite trying to convince my feet all weekend that they both were fine, my right foot disagreed.

It feels like the muscles underfoot have seized up. My ankle is semi-locked and my big toe is sticking up at a slight angle. It's like the cramp but it won't pass. I have been using ice packs, heat packs, tried rolling a cold can under foot, stretched, rested, walked, lay down and finally, resorted to tramadol. I am still awake in discomfort. :roll:

Any tips for convincing my foot to 'chill out' would be much appreciated, please and thank you!

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh Starburst, you are having a run of it lately (((())))
    When my digits seize up or lock, I find heat helps, either a wax bath, or a bowl of hot water.
    My big toes are permanently curled up, my Rheumatologist called it "hitch hiker's toe', it's quite painful, and finding shoes to fit is nigh on impossible. I hope that's not your problem :roll:
    Take care,
    Numpty
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I regularly get this but it passes. I find standing up with the unaffected foot pressing down on the affected one relieves matters; it is similar to cramp isn't it? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    It seems obvious that the change of footwear is the cause. It doesn't surprise me, even with the orthotic insoles. I can only wear surgical shoes. In the days when you got 2 pairs every 2 years that was fine. Now you get a new pair only when absolutely necessary and, as a result, my two pairs are rarely identical. This is OK if I keep alternating them but, if I was to wear one pair for a few days (As I have to when one pair is in for repairs) problems would and do arise.

I can only suggest you wean yourself slowly into the summer shoes. As for dealing with the current problems, I've nothing to add to what the others have said. I hope it improves sooner rather than later.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Sorry I wont be mush help but they do say to change your shoes every few days or so then you feet don't get used to one lot and to stretch the ligaments in the feet by doing tiptoe...hope it eases for you soon.
    Love
    Barbara
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    I think applying heat and cold, stretching as you are doing and perhaps you could round someone up to give you a gentle foot massage? If someone else does the massage, then you won't have to contort yourself giving your own foot a rub. Failing all, I would take a muscle relaxant.

Sounds uncomfortable to say the least. Hope it's easing now.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hi Starburst, how is it now? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I've still got the cramp-like pain but my foot looks less strange. I think I may need to brave the shops and find some new shoes. These just aren't doing it for me. :(