Back at work

Sarah01
Sarah01 Member Posts: 192
edited 21. May 2014, 11:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

Hope you are all well. As some of you will know I haven't been on here for a few weeks as hubby was home on leave and we spent a lot of quality family time together. He is back in the middle east now and not home for another 8 weeks.

I went back to work last week, 17 weeks after my THR. Not allowed to go back full-time until my surgeon allows it. I see him tomorrow for a decision on whether to operate on my knee. I'll post an update on surgeon's visit tomorrow.

The first week back at work was very strange indeed, spent most of the week exhausted which is what I expected after so much time off work. They bought me a new chair for the office and a foot rest which has helped. Feels strange being at work but on the other hand it's great to finally be getting back to some normality :) I have struggled with the knee and at times some pain in the hip but I am soldiering on.

Hope everyone has been keeping well since I was last on here :)

Sarah x

Comments

• krisbe
    krisbe Member Posts: 95
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It must be strange Sarah. I'm going back to work next week and am dreading it (I will be 11.5 weeks post op). I could quite easily stay at home. I am still very stiff when I sit down, but am going back on a phased return. I am beginning to think that this is the best I am going to get, have still got swelling which doesnt seem to subside and have my last physio appt next week. I dont know whether to go to GP about swelling, dont fancy flying in the summer if I still have a swollen leg. Glad you are on the mend and that you spent some quality time with your hubby.
  • Sarah01
    Hi Krisbe,

It was strange, I didn't know how everyone would be with me especially due to the problems i had after the op which prolonged my recovery. Some were glad to see me back, a couple of my colleagues ignored me, I don't think they fully understand what happened with my recovery etc. If they did, they would be more supportive I guess.

I am currently on a phased return, I start at 8.30am and finish at 2.30pm. It's enough at the moment as I was exhausted the first week. I still have a lot of swelling around the incision site on the hip and with having to wear the knee brace at the moment, it's weird having to wear skirts to work, I've always been a trouser suit kind of girl :lol:

I mentioned the swelling to my physio and the surgeon and they both said it was normal and the swelling could last for months. I've kind of got used to it now.

It was great to see hubby and spend some quality time with him. He's only been gone a couple of days and I'm missing him like crazy. Hopefully the 8 weeks will go quickly :)

Sarah x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Sarah you have done so well, I do think that normality is so important. ? It helps to make you feel more...human as I put it.
    The tiredness like you say will sort itself out, Im so glad you are not on full hours yet at least it will ease you in.Sorry that hubby is away but its something to look forward to him coming home again... :D
    you take care xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello again, Sarah. It's lovely to see you back but I'm glad you had some quality time with your husband. best of luck for work and well done you!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Hope the return to work continues to go well for you.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Sarah01
    Thank you Barbara, SW and Slosh :)

It's great to be back on here, sounds strange but I miss not being around to read and comment on other people's posts and to see how everyone is doing. It was a great few weeks with hubby. We couldn't do as much as I normally would but at least we got to spend time together :)

Hope you are all well

Sarah x
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Hi,

How lovely it must've been to spend such quality time together!! ((((Hugs)))) I hope the 8wks fly by for you both.

I hope things feel less strange for you at work as the week's pass & ure colleagues become more accustomed to seeing you around again :) I hope ure recovery continues to progress well too.

Take care.

Xxx xxX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Sarah01
    Thanks Debbie :)

I'm not sure how my colleagues are going to take the news tomorrow that I cannot come back full-time for the forseeable future. Saying that, other people at work have all expressed their joy at seeing me back at work :)

With being back at work I think the 8 weeks will fly by until hubby will be home again. He was away for 10 weeks the last time and that was 3 weeks after my THR (he was allowed home for 2 weeks after my op). That 10 weeks felt like a life sentence as I was at home recovering.

Sarah x