hi everybody

feeringsteve
feeringsteve Member Posts: 16
edited 24. May 2014, 08:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi my name is Steve,just had THR at 46 to right hip through OA, I think it was from working in the building trade?
not sure if I am walking to far or not far enough, I walk about 800m 3 x a- day.i am 18 days in to hip op and it's uncemented type.
any advise would be great.
Steve

Comments

• Sarah01
    Sarah01 Member Posts: 192
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum :)

I had my first THR 17 weeks ago at the age of 42yrs. It's good to hear that you are up and about so soon after your op. It took me a lot longer but that was down to problems with my knee. Everyone is different in how they recover from a THR. The thing to remember as my physio told me is to take it one day at a time and not to over do it. Keep doing the exercises you are given and walk when you feel up to it. Your body will tell you if you are doing too much.

I wish you all the best with your recovery and keep us posted on how you are getting on.

Take care
    Sarah x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Steve its good to have you on board, I had my THR 10 months ago now..and I am waiting to have the other done...but mu back has probs so need this sorting first..you are doing very well, and if the walking is not causing any probs you keep it up..you are building up the thigh muscle and this will keep the hip in good shape.. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • jul
    jul Member Posts: 40
    Hi Steve,
    Welcome.
    Pleased to hear you are recovering well. Sorry i can't advise as i haven't had THR luckily. Just wanted to welcome you.
    Jul
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Steve and welcome from me too. I have had my THRs for years but I've no idea what kind they are.

We all ,make progress differently after ops. There are no hard and fast rules other than doing as advised by your physio. My own view would be that 18 days is no time at all and the actual exercises are still more important that just walking distances as they will strengthen more muscles. However, if your physio is happy that's what matters.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Steve
    I've had 2 THR's......I would say just do what your physio says.....the exercises are important .......Just listen to your body, you will know if you are walking to far so don't push it but if you feel fine.....well my opinion is go ahead..
    We all recover at different rates.
    Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I apologise for being late to welcome you on board. :oops: I have no experience of hip surgery but I do know from reading on here that people progress in their own way and in their own time. Don't over do the walking, mostly stick with the physios exercises for the time being because they will be essential for returning useful strength to the muscles. Good luck and please let us know how you are getting on, yes? I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Hi Steve I had my THR at 46 too. Unfortunately I suffer from fatigue so never get enough excercise so end up with a lot of sorenes in my hip. If you can keep up with the strengthening and stretching exercises you were given and just do a little walking several times a day and rest inbetween.
    Your hip needs time to settle.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein