Help, not sure what to do about pain

jul
jul Member Posts: 40
edited 22. May 2014, 07:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
As some of you may have read on previous post, i have OA in my neck, knees and hands. I have been off work now for 2 weeks, having had pain since Feb when i was diagnosed with neck,but now pain is worse, so signed off for another 2 and just had my second physio today. He thinks pain is a compressed nerve in my neck, probably because of the two narrowing discs and bony spurs. He has given me exercises, which i have been doing uncomfortably and my GP has now increased pain killers again and prescribed Tramedol too. Physio asked if i wanted to see him again next week. Should i be going for longer or do they just give you exercises and that's it. Don't really know what i was expecting. Had a really bad night last night. The pain woke me, it was excruciating, like lying on a bed of hot nails and also like a ton weight was on my neck and back even though i was laying on my back. I am just not sure where to turn next. Should i ask for an orthopaedic referral or just carry on? Pain is really starting to get to me. I just want some advice please.
:? Sorry if i've gone on. :)

Comments

• Sarah01
    Sarah01 Member Posts: 192
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Jul,

So sorry to hear what you are going through. I've been going to physio for 9 weeks now since my THR 17 weeks ago. He's given me a lot of different of exercises to do and he told me I will stop coming once he is 100% certain I no longer need his help. If you are not sure whether to go or not, I would err on the side of caution and go to another appointment and see what he/she says.

I'm no doctor but if you are experiencing the amount of pain you are doing, it might be worth asking your GP for help and advice or a referral. I hope you get some relief soon from your pain.

Take care and let me know how you get on

Sarah x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello jul
    You are not going on at all, its awful when you are in constant pain, I have OA in my neck and spur growths...I put my heat cushion on at night to do my exercises it really does help..I was also told by the physio to do them lying down then the weight isn't all on the neck..I find that hard work so stick to my sitting up..I do hope you can get some relief very soon x
    Love
    Barbara
  • jul
    Thank you so much Sarah and Barbara
    I will go back next week to physio and think i will ask for a referral to orthopaedic or someone.
    Sarah, i hope you are recovering well from your THR and all is going well.
    Barbara, i did tell physio that i found it difficult doing the exercises so he has now said to do them lying down, which hope will help and i will try heat while i do them.
    It's hard not to feel you are moaning isn't it, but it would be nice to have some respite. Not many people understand what you are going through. That's why i think this site is so good. We all in it together.
    Thank you again. Means so much to me.
    Jul
  • Sarah01
    Sarah01 Member Posts: 192
    Hi Jul,

My new hip is doing great :) will be glad when the knee is sorted. Anytime you need to chat or "moan", I have done my fair share of moaning on here :lol: we are always here, whether on the forum or by private message :)

Take care
    Sarah x
  • jen9432
    jen9432 Bots Posts: 37
    Those are great tips. I also have compressed discs and bone spurs in my neck. One thing that really helped me was a distraction device. I think it is actually called a Cervical Distraction Device. There is lots of legitimate research on this type of treatment and is quite common and safe here in Canada. Basically it gently pulls on your head and takes the compression off the discs and removes the pressure from the pinched nerves. This device hangs over a door. One side is the part you attach to your head (it sits under your chin in the front and under your occipital bone at the back) and the other is a bag of water for weight attached together with a pulley. You can adjust the amount of pulling distraction by adding or subtracting water to the bag. Talk to your doctor and physio about it, they can help you set it up and advise you how to use it. I got mine from my chiropractor who ordered it for me online. It was not very expensive and definitely worth a try, as it will not make things worse. I leave mine set up in the spare room and use it once or twice a day. When I have a lot of pain, numbness and tingling I use it and it relieves my symptoms. Sometimes it is only temporary but that is ok, because sometimes it is the only thing that gets me out of bed.
  • jul
    Sarah
    Thank you! You know there are times when you just have to moan. Sometimes its a very lonely experience, so will take you up on it. :D and i am always here for you too.
    Jen
    Thanks Jen, i will ask him about this. Will try anything to relieve it. It sounds good. Seeing him on Wednesday. Am going to book appointment tomorrow for GP too.
    Thank you
    Jul x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I don't remember what respite from pain means but I know this: if the exercises are causing you extra discomfort then they may not be the right ones, set at the right time, for you. After my first synovectomy I was given an exercise which was very difficult: the physios said I would not be allowed home until I'd mastered it. The docs kinda agreed but let me out regardless. A mere two years or so later I mastered it - phew! :wink:

I am saddened that things are currently tough for you but I am sure you will muddle through - we did and know what it's like. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    jul wrote:
    Thank you so much Sarah and Barbara
    I will go back next week to physio and think i will ask for a referral to orthopaedic or someone.
    Sarah, i hope you are recovering well from your THR and all is going well.
    Barbara, i did tell physio that i found it difficult doing the exercises so he has now said to do them lying down, which hope will help and i will try heat while i do them.
    It's hard not to feel you are moaning isn't it, but it would be nice to have some respite. Not many people understand what you are going through. That's why i think this site is so good. We all in it together.
    Thank you again. Means so much to me.
    Jul
    Jul that is what is so good about this forum..we all understand some of what you are going through..good luck with the physio and please try the heat they are the wheat bags you put in the micro..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • jul
    Hi DD
    Two years! Well, you kept going and did it. Thank you for the advice. Excuse my ignorance, but what is a synovectomy? How are you doing now?
    He has given me different exercises to do, so see how it goes.
    Jul x
  • jul
    Thank you Barbara
    I will try the wheat bags. Got hot water bottle with pom poms on :lol: at moment, which is an odd shape round your neck :roll: so wheat bags will be more comfortable.
    Thanks
    Jul x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Jul
    The other thing about physiotherapy is it differs from region to region.
    When I've had a hip replacement {I know you haven't} I've been in 3 days including the op day, seen the physio once while there and she gives me a list of exercises to do , shows me the correct way to do them and then I'm home :shock: No more physio as such......just this list that I have to follow myself :shock:
    I think people in other areas have physio appointments afterwards.
    I would talk to your GP about the pain and see what he thinks about a referral

Love
    Hileena
  • jul
    Hi Hileena
    Thank you for your reply. Hope you have recovered from your hip replacement. Puts my mind at rest. I didn't really know what to expect. I couldn't get appointment today, so have to wait till tomorrow. Guess it is a postcode lottery, like all health problems and i will keep on with the exercises.
    Love
    Jul x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    My synovectomy? It was an op to remove all the extra fluid (both liquid and solidified) which had gathered around my left knee over the course of five years. By the time of the op the knee was 27" in circumference and very uncomfortable. It's been uncomfortable ever since :wink: .

I now have around forty affected joints (all useful ones :lol: ) some by PsA, some with OA and some with both; life could be very grim if I let it but generally I do OK, I've become accustomed to the pain. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben