I finished my degree and got offered a job the next day!!!

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 27. May 2014, 12:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
Yesterday, I handed in my portfolio and celebrated by having a nap. Today, during nap time, I got a phone call offering me a job. (Are you sensing a pattern?!) It was my first ever social work interview, so I wasn't expecting to be successful. I am going to be a social worker in an older adults and physical disabilities team!!!! :D

I get my results on 4th July and graduate on 16th July. I will already been working by then, can't believe it! I have 70% of my overall grade sitting at a first but it all depends on how I do in my dissertation as to whether I end up with a first or 2:1. Either way, I am thrilled with my results.

Thank you all for supporting me through this. I appreciate you more than you could ever know.

Sophie xx

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Congratulations, what wonderful news and what a perfect job for you.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    Fantastic news for both your degree and the job - well done you!

Meg
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    Well done you! :D:D:D
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Congratulations, and well done you. :D
    You have worked hard for this, under very difficult circumstances, and you deserve for things to go your way.
    Let the celebrations begin!
    Numpty
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh my darling girl, that is utterly fantastic (so fantastic that I'll try to resurrect my Cosgan emoticons!) Oh honey, I am sitting here with a ludicrously wide grin on me chops! :D GET IN, S0PHIE! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sophie that is brilliant news ,I absolutely knew you would get there..you are such a strong lady that has gone through so much, but shown everyone it can be done..many many congratulations...you have made my day... :D:D xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Well done ,we on the forum are so proud of you. Mig
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Congratulations Sophie! Fantastic! you must feel wonderful (despite the pain, that is).
  • Starburst
    Options
    Thank you for the lovely replies xx

To make the last 24 hours even crazier, I got my dissertation results and I got a 2:1. :) I'm still sitting bang in the middle of a First and a 2:1 so I have to wait till 4th July as my case will be presented at the exam board. I do have a medical letter supporting me but it really could go either way. Eek!
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Options
    congrats :D
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • 19smp59
    19smp59 Member Posts: 105
    Options
    Many congratulations! xx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Congratulations you!! You must be over the moon and you deserve it after all you have had to battle to get here! So pleased everything is turning out good!!
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Congratulations Sophie what a great position for you right up your street it is well deserved after all that you have been through and coped with, well done I am made up for you...............go girl xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Congratulations- on both the degree and the job....you so deserve it all and have proved that it's possible to succeed despite if you keep on trying. You will have so much to bring to your new job that is more than just theory-you walk the walk and will have credibility because of it.

I'm thrilled for you. :D

Deb xx
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Congratulations Sophie ... You utterly deserve this :D

YOU DID IT!!! Woo Hoo :D
    *We never doubted you'd get where you deserved to be*

You're a credit to ureself young lady.

((((Hugs))))

Xxx xxX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I am delighted but not surprised, Sophie. Some very wise, sensible emppoyer has got the employee they deserve. We have all witnessed your sometimes heroic efforts to complete this degree. I can't imagine anyone more deserving of success.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Options
    Aww you're all so lovely, thank you for your lovely words. I might have had to wipe a stray tear away. :wink:

I've got some really exciting plans coming up and I just want wait to have some FUN! :D
  • valde
    valde Member Posts: 271
    Options
    Many Many Congratulations
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Options
    Sophie - as usual I'm coming late to this but I just wanted to add to the long line of people congratulating you :D :P :D - you're a real hero for getting this far and really a 2.1 is pretty brilliant - if it's a first it will just be a bonus.

But to land a job straight away is amazing as probably the biggest hurdle any new graduate faces these days has already been jumped now (ouch sorry!) and landed well by you.

My son, who has also had health and disability issues to overcome is in exactly the same situation re sitting somewhere very tight between a first and a high 2.1. He hears on the 3rd of June but he has also just heard that he's been accepted to do a Masters at Glasgow uni and is over the moon about this.

So I'm really thinking that people who get somewhere amazing despite so much adversity are the ones we need to be running the world! Mat x
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • justinbarrow
    justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
    Options
    Well done - Its so refreshing to hear your news. Dissertations are not easy well done and good luck :)
  • loulou
    loulou Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!! Well done you :D
    Enjoy every bit of your new job and your graduation, you deserve it honey!!! Xxx
    [colour=green]
    Loulou[/colour]
    XxxxxX
  • topcat
    topcat Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Well done!
    My daughter did a social work degree too and was in child protection work 10 days after graduating.
    She's never been out of work since in over 5 years so well done again!
    :D
  • Starburst
    Options
    Thank you again for the lovely replies. :) I am feeling so good and so relaxed! Next goal; get my RA under control (a work in progress).

topcat Thank you! That's good to hear. I've heard once you've secured your first job and stay there a while, the opportunities really open up for you. I admire your daughter so very much. Child protection is not something I feel I could do.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Well deserved Sophie, I'm so pleased for you.