In pain :-(

Options
2»

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I had a rheumatology appointment yesterday, the first since August. My hospital has a new system and needless to say it doesn't work that well in that I now have to do my admin. and chasing. When I heard why I wasn't surprised.

Let's face it, rheumatology lacks glamour because it's not fancy or life-changing when it comes to solving the initial problem. Diagnosis has improved but the nett result is that patients stay with the department for twenty, thirty, forty or now (possibly) fifty years so it's very different to other hospital departments in that respect. I was lucky in that I used to have appointments every three months, alternating between my consultant and the rheumatology nurses but accept that now I must be more pro-active. I admit I'm a tad narked but realise that my consultants workload is somewhat larger than mine. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Good. That sounds like a plan. I hope it works :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lynnemarie1123
    lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
    Options
    In the 7 years since I've been diagnosed I've only seen the nurse once yo give me my meds x it's always been the consultant. I feel bad chasing them tom but I don't know what else to do :-( part of me wants to leave ut to give him time to get back to me knowing that he needs yo speak to the çonsultant and the Gp x I am bring impatient ?? Just not sure how long I can carry on the way I am!!! Gp mentioned oral steroids today ????
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I don't think you're being impatient just doing what you have to do.

Steroids are the only meds your GP can prescribe which might help. Many prefer to hang out for a rheumatology visit as it can be harder for the consultant to decide how bad things are if the patient is on steroids. Plus, they'll probably make you feel great while solving nothing.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright