No Naproxen and struggling

Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 26. May 2014, 06:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Until last Wednesday amongst my daily meds I was on 500mg of Naproxen twice a day but unfortunately had to stop it due to damage to my stomach lining. I saw my second favourite GP who felt that as I am on Meptazinol (same type of drug as Tramidol which I can't have as it is contraindicated with one of my other meds, duloxetine), this should be sufficient to manage my pain as if not the only other option was morphine which I found really scary.

Unfortunately it's not sufficient, really struggling, not just with my neck pain but also my shoulders and upper arms and only managed about 3 hours sleep last night. Just getting so fed up now, especially as I had such a boost when I visited my school on Thursday. Go back to see my favourite GP next Wednesday, officially so he can look at my shoulders to see if I have arthritis there as well but think pain relief will be top of my agenda.

Just wish I could fast forward to Wednesday, just seems to be one thing after another at the moment.

Just feel all I seem to do at the moment is moan, even cried last night which is really unlike me.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry to hear you are struggling slosh(love the user name) I am afraid I don't know what to advise as you are probably doing all you can as it is ie heat and rest. Morphine is ok if you control it I get prescribed them for Neuropathic pain but only take them when the climbing gear has got to come out. The forums here are for getting your frustrations out to people that understand we all like a wee moan now and again (((()))) to you keep thinking Wednesday is not to far away, take care ..................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Slosh
    Thanks. Yes doing the rest and warmth thing and using my neck collar as well to try and rest my neck a bit.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Poor Slosh, sorry to hear this as neck pain is beastly to deal with. But, you do have to save your stomach. Awful trade though, since Naproxen was working.

Best wishes,
    Anna
  • Slosh
    Thank you. Feeling a bit better so far today, I had a better nights sleep which helped as after three very bad nights I think exhaustion took over. Going to have a pottering about kind of day and try not to do too much.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh dear, I am sorry to read this. I am no expert on these matters - does it mean you cannot have any kind of anti-inflammatory? I hope things are at least a little better for you today, I really do. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Pansy4
    Pansy4 Member Posts: 11
    Oh gosh how do we cope with the pain? I am struggling too. Physiotherapist at hospital has not helped, or an osteopath. Hate taking strong pain killers, but take co-codamol on doctor's prescription. Using anything I can, like TENS, gels, heat wraps, but pain still very bad. What do we do??
  • Slosh
    DD , been told I can't have any kind of anti inflammatory meds due to tbe damage, glad it was diagnosed before it got any worse but a real shock as I had no symptoms at all and was hoping to find out more about my throat problem.

I am going to ask about gels on Wednesday and also whether I need to move back to Amytriptiline as then I have the option of Tramadol as a back up to the meptazinol if needed.

When I next see the physio I will ask about tens machine, I'm quite happy to buy one but not sure if I can use one due to my neck fusion.

Just think a year ago apart from when I had my daughter I'd never had anything stronger than paracetamol or ibuprofen. How things change!

After a better morning things are starting to slid again and I'm back to counting the hours until my next dose.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Neck pain is horrible, Slosh, and all-pervasive. When I've had it - thankfully not since I started to use a shaped memory foam pillow - I'd wake with migraine-types headaches and was sick. However, Boomer is right. Arthritic pain, however bad, isn't as dangerous as a stomach bleed.

I hope your doc can sort you out with a change of meds. Often little tweaks can make big differences. Or maybe a Pain Clinic might help? There are lots of techniques for dealing with it. I tend to go for distraction myself. Cricket or computer games mostly, in my case.

Good luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Thanks Sticky. I have a shaped pillow which helps. Glad you're starting to feel better today.
    I've had a pottering about day, better than yesterday, fingers crossed for tomorrow.
    Julian of Norwich
  • celebrationb
    celebrationb Member Posts: 134
    I hope things change for you soon
    I am on Naproxen but the doc never told me about the stomach problems, I found out when i was online. I was told not to worry about it .
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    I hope you find something that can replace the Naproxen soon. It's a good job I read this as I just took a Naproxen 500mg (I usually take Arocixa) and don't have any stomac protecting drug to hand. I guess it's something I should ask for from my GP Tuesday if these tablets bring me any joy.
  • Slosh
    Think I did a bit too much yesterday, still GP on Wednesday so will see what he has to say, at least I didn't have any plans for today. Shame GP surgery's don't offer nectar points, I'd have plenty!
    Julian of Norwich