Mum scheduled for a hip block - is this the best action?

Options
samchilcott
samchilcott Member Posts: 2
edited 28. May 2014, 05:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there,

My mum has suffered from arthritis for a while now - she's 57 and in the last few months it got especially bad. The doctors already knew about her arthritis, had prescribed her the usual - regular, low intensity exercise, glucosamine, painkillers for when it was really bad ect.

On this occasion, she was sent for an x-ray, and the doctor decided that it was worse then she should expect for her age. She's now been booked in for a hip block.

I'm not really sure of the technicalities of it - could someone explain? I understand it's slightly different to steroids?

My main question is this - I've spoken to a few medical professionals - normal doctors and an acupuncturist. All where fairly wary about the hip block, and the acupuncturist specifically recommended that she avoid having it done at all costs. Of course, he recommended acupuncture, but it's not really an avenue that we've explored. What alternatives are there to the hip block, and can anyone speak from experience as to how it helped them (or not?)

How long will she realistically need to recover - trying to decide whether or not to take some time off work to help out because her and my dad have lots of responsibilities.

Any info anyone has would be really helpful.

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi there,

sorry I haven't any personal info to share, but found this website that might help.
    http://www.dchft.nhs.uk/hip/leaflets-hip-blocks.html

After a similar steroid injection into bursa around my hips I was advised to rest for at least 2 or 3 days to allow the steroid to rest in the joint and do its stuff- so maybe a few days at home to support mum and encourage her to rest completely would be a good plan, hubby and daughter did it for me and I had a really positive result with several months of pain relief.

Deb xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've never had one though I did have steroid injections in the knees way back when I had my original knees (and hips) :lol:

I don't really think this is something one can vote on as we're all different and what will be right for one person might not be for another. It's good that you're looking at this from all angles but, at the end of the day, I guess it boils down to individual preference. If the pain is bad enough and restricting enough one will do anything. If it's a matter of shall I / shan't I maybe the time has not yet come. Why not encourage your Mum to come on here and chat to others in similar circumstances?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright