Do you feel trapped at work?

Options
DaveOB
DaveOB Member Posts: 39
I really don't like my current job, but I work for local government who are quite good when it comes to helping someone with my condition (pa). I would love to move on but don't have the greatest sickness record (15 days in the last year) and worry I couldn't get another job even if I wanted to.

Does anyone else feel like this? I worry I am stuck where I am until I can no longer work or get made redundant :(

Cheers

Dave

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    As far as I know under equalities legislation when you apply for jobs or are interviewed prospective employers are not allowed to ask about your sickness record.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • DaveOB
    Options
    Hmmm, I thought they could. Does the equality act give protection against this then? Just going through the act in my current job.
  • Slosh
    Options
    You would have to check, I'm a teacher and now that in schools you are no longer to ask about absence for health reasons on application forms or at interview because of this. Good luck in your job search, I've been stuck in jobs where I was unhappy in the past and know how soul destroying it can be, however from experience I would also say don't just take the first thi g you get offered without being sure it is what you want as it can be a case of out of the frying pan into the fire.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Fifteen days in one year does not seem that bad to me - my husband had a secretary with PsA and when she got to the point where she couldn't work comfortably for a full day in the office she was able to work from home for two or three days per week: could this be an option for you? I reckon it's better the devil you know when it comes to work - people like us don't improve as such, if anything we deteriorate so bear that in mind too. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    Options
    15 days is really not that bad. I was off for 7 months past year. I do understand how you feel tho about being trapped in your current job because of our conditions.
  • DaveOB
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :). Feel better about the 15 days now, it has been worse on other years though. I think the most was 40! Blooming mtx :mrgreen:

I am currently going through the process of getting measures put in under the equality act, one of things agreed is to wfh once a week. I look after a small team so really need to be in the office as much as possible. I am lucky in that I work for a big council so there may be opportunities to move around within the same place. I spoke to my old boss today to see if he can make a space for me and he is going to do what he can. He was always brilliant about my condition and always appreciated my efforts.

DD - I think you may have some valid points there, I think leaving my current employer would make me feel very nervous.

Anyway will have to see what happens.
  • Slosh
    Options
    Have you been referred to Occupational Health? They might be able to give advice over any adaptations that woukd be helpful.
    Julian of Norwich
  • DaveOB
    Options
    Yep, they advised I arranged for access to work to come and see me. They are coming tomorrow, OH also advised that I should have 10 days added to my sickness thresholds In our hr system. Which means I won't show on any absence management reports unless I am off for more than 16 days in one year. All these things are really good and why I don't want to leave for another company, but they also make me feel a little trapped.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Coping with any form of arthritis changes our perceptions of life as we knew it: suddenly everything is thrown into a rather gloomy kaleidoscope of shifting uncertainties. This applies to everyone but the 'healthy' are not aware of it as such, they rely on the fact that things have always been this way and so will be. Twerps. :wink:

Is it your employment or the disease that is causing this feeling of being trapped? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • DaveOB
    Options
    Thanks dd

I think my disease. If I didn't have it I would be doing my cv and looking for a new job, but don't feel I can as I work for supportive organisation and have pa

Tis a pain, literally !