Useful GP appointment

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 28. May 2014, 16:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Saw my GP today and it was useful. He thinks my shoukder pain is most likely linked to my neck problem and/or the ligaments but he is also sending me for an ESR blood test, he did say what it was for but I can't remember.
He did say there was nothing else he could offer at present in terms of pain relief so if things don't improve I will discuss it at my next hospital appointment in July. He did say that NSAIDS are off forever as I developed the stomach problem despite being on a stomach protector.
What I found very useful was his explanation of how a neck problem impacts not only on the shoulders but also on the whole back. He pointed out it was clear that it has affected my lower back as I have the weakness in my left leg and some bladder and occasional bowel weakness as well.
At least I have GPs who follow through on things.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Glad you have some answers from your GP but sorry you don't get any relief..it really is swings and roundabouts... :roll: hope July is some help to you
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I am pleased that you found the appointment to be of help, it does make a difference to us when the GP can take the time to explain things - sometimes they are too pushed for time or maybe assume that because they know things ergo we know them too. :wink:

Pain is a nasty fact of our lives. :( DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Options
    I'm a frequent flyer now I think, waiting for my loyalty card! Keep thinking how many nectar points I could have earnt!
    Decided I needed a treat after that so as all my normal treats are no longer allowed, crisps and nuts (too hard to swallow), wine or gin (meds) or a nice hot curry (stomach) I bought myself a couple of cream cakes.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Sounds a good productive appointment Slosh you sound as if you have a very good GP, the esr blood test is usually to show inflammation, mine is always high due to the treatment I get. Lets hope they continue to follow through with things...................Marie x

PS hope you enjoyed the cream cakes :D
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Slosh
    That's my idea of a treat....hope you enjoyed them :lol:
    Its great when GP's have the time to go through things with you

Love
    Hileena
  • Slosh
    Options
    Even more impressive when today he told me he was doing longer surgeries this week and was trying to fit in 60 appointments today as he had so many patients who wanted to see him before he goes on holiday next week!
    Julian of Norwich
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    That's fantastic
    My doctor gives you 10 mins and if you aren't finished in that time she is over with her hand on the door knob ready to open the door :shock:

Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    That sounds like a good appointment. It matters so much when you have a disease that's not going to go away, that your GP is on board and helpful.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    I am so lucky. I just wish my daughter had such a great GP. Just feel tonight that although I know it's not going to go away I know that anything concerning is going to be investigated and what he said made sense and also made me realise that I'm not making a fuss over nothing and do need to take it seriously.
    In a strange way I feel a bit more in control now. Information is good.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    So good that your GP was so thorough and supportive, Slosh. I agree that information makes things seem so much better

Meg