newly diagnosed with osteoarthritis

Options
Michellefrance
Michellefrance Member Posts: 5
edited 2. Jun 2014, 04:30 in Say Hello Archive
Hello, I have just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my thumbs and spine :cry: . I am only 48, but my Mum and my sister have it. I am usually active and up to recent love to ride my horse. I am hoping once my pain relief kicks In I will be able to ride my horse again. I wont be giving in to this illness. I am hoping to get lots of encouragement and advice from the forum.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry that you have had to find us. I had OA confirmed in both knees in April 2011 and the shock took some time to ease - mine occurred as a result of joint damage caused by my other arthritis so I have a creaky foot in both camps. In addition it now affects both ankles and both hips, plus a little in my neck and shoulders - it ain't fun. :wink: There is not a great deal of treatment as such, it's a matter of pain relief and maybe an anti-inflammatory med, and it will be your GP who deals with it.

Pain relief is not all it's cracked up to be and I prefer to get by on the minimum so I have Plan B when needed, but as I've been living with pain since the age of 37 (I'm now 55) I have become used to it. I have never ridden (and certainly can't now) but I hope you will be able to resume; there was a thread about it on the Living with Arthritis board on here, we have some equine devotees on here. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jen9432
    jen9432 Bots Posts: 37
    Options
    Hello Michelle,

Welcome. I also have OA and am only 49. My advice to you is to not let it define you. Yes you will ride again. I believe that it is very important to keep your body strong and healthy when you are fighting a chronic disease like OA. Most importantly don't let your weight get away on you. Extra pounds mean extra stress on those weight bearing joints (like spinal joints, knees and hips). Keep your weight at optimum levels and try to exercise as much as possible. Keep your muscles especially core muscles strong so they can help stabilize your spine. Have you thought about pilates or yoga for strenghtening. These are great for OA'ers like us. I find both very helpful. Remember with OA exercise is the fountain of youth. Do what you can. Good luck!!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hello and welcome from me too, Michelle. I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis and I do hope it won't stop you from riding as that is such good exercise in so many ways for both body and soul. I guess you might have to modify it a little.

I've had RA since I was 15 and OA probably since I was around 25. I've only ever done Riding for the Disabled but that has taught me how many adaptions are possible. I used adapted reins, no stirrups and a wonderful 'Natural Ride' saddle. Of course I didn't ride as you probably do. I never got beyond trotting but I loved it and, as for those core muscles that jen9432 mentioned, the riding will take care of them surely.

Like DD, I'm in the 'as little pain relief as I can get away with' camp. No point in getting rid of the pain only to find you can't ride because you're too spaced out :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the forum,
    You have the right attitude don't give into it, there is no reason why you shouldn't enjoy your horse riding, I know you have to keep a straight back in horse riding so this in itself is good for your spine, I do hope you get some help with the pain,just one tip try not to take the amount they say then when days are really bad you have a backup..hoping to see you around the forum.. :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Michelle
    Welcome to the forum.....you've got the right idea. We have 2 choices....one to sit in a corner and mope and the other is to get out and grab things by the scruff of the neck and get on with life :wink:
    I have OA in hips, spine, ankle, lower back and neck and also kypho scoliosis.
    I believe in getting out and about and that most things are do-able even if we have to adapt them.
    I don't know about horse riding.......never did it so couldn't now :lol: As far as exercises are concerned....no high impact exercises. Your physiotherapist can advice you on the best exercises.....I'm sure you will be able to ride again...I have read some posts on here about that
    Good Luck
    Love
    Hileena
  • Michellefrance
    Michellefrance Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the lovely messages. Today is particularly a very painful day :cry: . I am now sat with my tens machine on hoping it will help. My doctor wants to see me again in 3 weeks, but if this pain doesn't get any better I will be going next week. My problem is I have to watch which painkillers I take or I get restricted with my job and I want to carry on as long as possible as I love my job. I cant take anything with codeine in as I have a safety critical job, although codeine doesn't make me sleepy. I have been speaking to a friend today who is a rep for hyaluronic acid injections and she has recommended I speak to my doctor about them. Has anyone any experience of these?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I think they were once mentioned on Living With Arthritis but, although there is some evidence that they might work for OA in the knee I don't think thumbs or spine came into the research. The evidence for it is not great so you can't get it on the NHS. This is what Arthritis Research UK says about it. http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/news/general-news/2011/august/study-supports-repeated-hyaluronic-acid-injections-in-knee-osteoarthritis.aspx

If you ask on LWA you might find someone with experience of it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright