Mutter, mutter...

Megrose489
Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
edited 1. Jun 2014, 11:15 in Community Chit-chat archive
I've begun knitting for Christmas! Well, I've never been a fast knitter and I'm trying to pace myself. I've started knitting a lacy cowl for my DIL and thought I was getting on quite well. I had plans to knit one of the 18 row pattern blocks each day and started on block 3 this afternoon. Then on row 16 I found I had four stitches left at the end of the row instead of two. :shock: I took it back, slowly - not easy when it's yarn overs and knit 2 togethers - and re-did the row, only to find I still had four stitches. So, after three hours (I told you I was a slow knitter) I ripped out the whole 16 rows. Thankfully, I have put in lifelines, so only had to rip back today's work. The project is now sulking in a dark corner and I'm going for a cup of tea! I just hope it's better behaved tomorrow, or the lacy cowl might become a hat! :(

Comments

• toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,096
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It would be me sulking in the dark corner. You poor soul. :(
  • jen9432
    jen9432 Bots Posts: 37
    I feel your pain, from a fellow knitter. I am working on a knitted squares quilt, it's huge. Each square is a different pattern and quite difficult so I have been removing more knitting than doing :wink: Counting stitches in my sleep. It is looking wonderful, so all worth it!!
    I'm with you, the best suggestion when things get hard, put it down go for a cuppa and pick it up later. That works for me with many things. I have to pace myself as my hands protest after too much knitting or crocheting also.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Unfortunately I can no longer knit but I know the feeling. Good luck!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Megrose489
    Thank you all. I feel a little better now and will have another go tomorrow - my hands get sore, too. It's not as though I don't read every instruction three times! I have found a lovely pattern for a crocheted beaded scarf which would look great in this yarn. Crochet is so much more forgiving than knitting if you make a mistake. It has been warned! I'll see how I go tomorrow. :)

Your quilt sounds lovely, Jen. I hope it continues to go well.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Two of my best life's achievements (which number four) are identical Aran sweaters, I loved mine when it fitted and he never liked his. :wink: I have a scarf which my paternal grandma knitted for me when she was 100 years old: I have learned to appreciate it. :oops: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Oh what patience you must have :lol:
    I knit a bit.....haven't for a while because of my eyes but I doubt if I could take that back with all the y over and k 2 tog :shock:
    Well done you
    Love
    Hileena
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Megrose from another fellow knitter I have been through this many times my knitting has quite often been thrown across the room :oops: when my temper has been frayed when I either end up like you with more stitches than I should have or for some reason the pattern has gone wrong :roll: I too just put in down do something else and go back to it later or another day :D
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh Meg i love knitting but am rubbish at it..the tension gets me..and dropped stiches and I could go on..so you make sure it dosent beat you...good luck
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I think if my fingers could cope with knitting needles I would be very dangerous indeed :oops: Well done on your patience, Megrose, and foresight.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Infuriating :roll:

Hope it's easy to sort out when you try again another day

c020.gif

love

Toni xxx

PS I can't knit anymore because I have no mum left to sew up for me!
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Good on you Meg, I am not a knitter, was a terrible knitter anything I tried ended up with more holes in it than a golf course :oops: at least you have found where you have gone wrong, nothing like a good cuppa to set the world to rights..................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Megrose489
    Thank you all for your lovely, supportive comments. That little knitting character is great, Toni!

My helpful DH typed out the pattern again for me in larger type and it has really made a difference - much clearer. So, I've knitted the 18 rows again this afternoon with no mistakes at all. :D Only another eight pattern blocks to go!

I had planned on knitting two of these cowls for presents, but I think one will be enough and I'll probably crochet the beaded scarf for the second gift. Onwards and upwards! :D
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Well done, Megrose (and OH). Personal presents are so much nicer.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Best knitting tip I ever received was from my first Ma-in-Law: when knitting a garment leave a long piece of yarn before casting on (neatly bundled and secured by a safety pin) so that when the front/back/sleeves are finished your sewing-together thread is already in situ. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben