At last a cure - if only!

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 1. Jun 2014, 15:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
A friend at Church today told me that all I need to do is let him teach me some visualisation techniques and I would be able to cure myself!

Didn't know whether to laugh, cry or just thump him with my stick!

If only it was that simple.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'd have gone for the latter but it's a tough decision when you've just come out of church :wink:

To be fair, visualisation and many other techniques can help to reduce our perception of pain. He could have given you a much more plausible demonstration, though, if you had actually whacked him and he was applying it to himself :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    I didn't think of that SW, oh well there's always next week and his next suggestion.

I do use a breathing technique I was taught a few years ago which is a stress reduction one and have a couple of relaxation apps I use which all help.
    His take though was that he would be able to cure me as by teaching me to use the power of my mind.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Isn't it odd that people still die? Why don't we all just use the powers of our mind to stay alive :roll:
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    How is it it is always the healthy species that are wanting to cure us that are inflicted :roll: personally the stick for me :D
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Slosh
    I do believe that visualisation can help {distraction technique} ease pain....but cure it....NO WAY!! :lol:
    I can do relaxation techniques, breathing etc but can never manage the visualisation one.....cant imagine myself in a warm happy place the way some others can imagine themselves. I'll stick to the relaxation :wink:
    Love
    Hileena
  • Slosh
    Options
    I'm doing well today. I've now just upset my older sister by answering a question with words to the effect of "but I'm not going to get better. It's all about learning to manage and adapt". She just went quiet and changed the subject. Problem is she's 20 years older than me, feels guilty she is in better health and just does the you're so brave thing and then gets upset.
    Hey ho
    Thank goodness for you guys!
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    He meant well. Over the years I've been told to drink more water, eat massive quantities of oily fish, wear copper bangles and put copper insoles in my shoes but the most offensive was being told (very earnestly by a weak and watery woman) that I had to renounce Satan and turn to God: apparently I have arthritis thanks to the presence of Satan within my body.

Not getting better is a tricky concept for those are healthy because they have that option. Mind you, it's tricky enough for us. :wink:

DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Options
    For a while we had a lay preacher at our church who had some incredible beliefs. Luckily he is no longer with us but he did once preach that if we came to Church, prayed to be healed and were not healed it was our fault for not having enough faith! On another occasion after the 2012 paralympics he preached that what it showed was that disabled people had emotions like normal people.

Just been getting it all out of my system with an art session. Very therapeutic.
    Julian of Norwich
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Slosh
    A church I used to go to....the pastor had that view.....if you were ill it was because your faith wasn't strong enough. :o
    He more or less condemned you........I don't go to that church now needless to say but from other church goers there they say that he is mellowing......think it might be because he is in his mid 70's and getting a few aches and pains :wink:
    I do not like people like that......is it any wonder the church gets a bad name
    Love
    Hileena
  • mamasmurf
    mamasmurf Member Posts: 89
    Options
    I was once told that I must be resigned to my maladies and bear them with fortitude . This apparently is because I need to be punished for being evil in my last life .
    I must have done some bad things !
    mamasmurf
  • hileena111
    Options
    What a load of tripe....and that is coming from a Christian :lol:
    So what must non Christians think :?
    Love]
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Slosh wrote:
    I'm doing well today. I've now just upset my older sister by answering a question with words to the effect of "but I'm not going to get better. It's all about learning to manage and adapt". She just went quiet and changed the subject. Problem is she's 20 years older than me, feels guilty she is in better health and just does the you're so brave thing and then gets upset.
    Hey ho
    Thank goodness for you guys!

Coping with people who cannot cope with our disease(s) is one of the trickiest aspects of it. Sometimes it's just easier to tell them what they want to hear.

I knew a lovely, jolly old lady once whose 63 yr old son-n-law died suddenly of a heart attack. She was eaten up by guilt after that because she was still here and he wasn't. How sad!
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    If I'm honest I'm also feeling rather sensitive today. Before my op my left shoulder had dropped and I was unable to raise it ,( think shrugging your shoulders) and I had muscle weakness in my left arm and hand which had got to the point that it was starting to affect the coordination in my left hand. This did seem to be the one thing that my op had resolved. Unfortunately yesterday I noticed that my left shoulder was drooping again, and while I can still raise it, I can't move it as much as my right shoulder. Can't help but worry. I see the physio agsin on the 11th so I will ask him to assess me.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Good plan, Slosh. It might be as simple as more exercises. I do hope it can be resolved so easily but better to know the score. Pocket duties available :)
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you Sticky
    Julian of Norwich