Have found something more painful than OA ...

Options
GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 9. Jun 2014, 09:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
... yep, thought that'd get you interested! :roll:

Now - I have free to a good home, one good old fashioned tooth abscess. Have had this really bad since Friday morning and am now on antibiotics (started them Friday night after I'd seen the out of hours dentist via Dentaline here in Kent). Needless to say, no positive effect from the antibiotics and still got absolutely banging toothache but it's not been 48 hours yet. Typically my dentist on a Friday is only there in the morning and just couldn't see me as he was jammed with appointments. So I had to hang on until after hours and then ring for the emergency dental system, which I have to say is very good. Unfortunately this isn't the first time I've had to use this service.

Tomorrow morning I have the 'joy' of trying to get hold of my dentist to see when he'll pull this tooth out for me. I have an appointment already scheduled for Thursday (this tooth chipped a couple of weeks ago) but typically haven't made it to that appointment unfortunately. I somehow suspect I'll be told that he can't do anything until Thursday anyway as the antibiotics need to work on the infection.

When I had my knee replacement it was made very clear to me that any infection under the gum line had to be treated immediately with antibiotics to prevent this becoming a blood-born infection and then that infecting the knee prosthesis. I understand if that happens, it's IV drugs, the prosthesis possibly coming out and then having to go back in. Don't fancy that one iota.

Still, looking on the bright side - I've had so much pain from this blasted tooth it's taken my mind off my knees, my ankles and my back. Can't all be bad can it?

So - if any of you lucky people would like a distraction pain that's extrmely effective please don't hesitate to let me know. First-come. first-served.

Take care everyone

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh yes. A tooth abcess is an absolutely evil pain. The only thing that even touched it for me was neurofen. I was never warned about the dangers of infections though after any of my joint replacement surgery. Luckily I have a very good, thorough dentist.

i think you're probably right in thinking the dentist won't do an extraction while there's still infection there but I do hope something can be sorted to make you more comfortable. You have my utmost sympathy.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Grace, they wont pull the tooth until the abcess has gone down(ex dental nurse, well they didn't in my day ) I have no idea what the pain must be like as I have never had one. I hope the anti-bios work soon and you get some relief.............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • ELAINE55555
    ELAINE55555 Member Posts: 123
    Options
    I agree Graceb. Had one once on a bank holiday weekend, and could not get a dentist anywhere. The pain was horrendous and I thought my head was going to explode with the pressure. Mine burst and I got a mouthful of evil, foul poison, but the pain went immediately. I really hope you do not have to suffer too long.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Grace these are so blinking painful, sorry you already know this, :roll: I am glad you have got the ABs at least they will be working on it.
    I was told the same when I had my THR to get my teeth checked out, I do hope it eases up for you very soon...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    How miserable for you but at least you know this pain will be ended at some point - I hope that point arrives sooner rather than later. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • GraceB
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

This is now Tuesday morning. Tooth is still banging away and I feel absolutely drugged up to the eyeballs. I did however manage to stay at work yesterday although it got very close mid afternoon as to whether or not I could 'stay the course'. However, being a typical Taurean I really don't like giving in and had I gone home I'd have only been more aware of the pain.

Have had confirmation from the dental surgery that nothing can be done until Thursday - as I suspected. The receptionist immediately of course, started talking about root canal treatment and crowning, so I had to correct her politely and say there were two options for this tooth - brand new big filling or extraction and that I was leaning towards the extraction option. I just cannot afford to have a tooth root canal treated and crowned - £200 is more than a week's wages for me.

So I continue to try and keep as busy as my dodgy joints will allow me to and I am nibbling very daintily on food - very much like a lady. So, that's the upside of this experience.

Take care everyone
    GraceB
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Work? Crikey, GraceB, you're made of sterner stuff than I am. I only once had an tooth abcess and all I could think of was to count down to the next pain relief. Only (only :o ) two more days. Keep going.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    Options
    I'm stubborn Sticky - that's the issue here. I just don't like giving into things.

I think the anti biotics are finally working - thankfully! However, if I even go near the tooth with a toothbrush it flares like billy-ho. At least that confirms which one it is which should make life easier tomorrow at the dentist.

So we continue to plod on in that stubborn Taurean way that I have. A tooth/dental issue will not beat me. I will not let it. I do not let the OA beat me very often so I'm certainly not going to let an issue such as this stop me.

Take care everyone,
    GraceB
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Hey, go for it, girl :D I like that attitude :D Hope all goes well.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    Options
    Well, the tooth has gone. The filling had fractured and an x-ray was duly taken which confirmed the tooth was in bad state of play. My dentist said even if he did a root canal (if I could have afforded it), he didn't think it would last and would still have to come out so he agreed with me thankfully.

It took 50 minutes of my dentist pulling, snapping and drilling bits out but it's gone. I feel like I've been run over by a bus and of course my back is now flaring having spent that amount of time plus in a dental chair.

Apparently I have curved dental roots which made it a lot more difficult.

My dentist was pouring with sweat, as was I, by the time this was out

Not nice I have to say but it's gone.

So it'll be runny porridge for my tea tonight (thankfully I had the foresight to have a hot meal at lunchtime suspecting I would only be wanting slop tonight). Then it'll be an early night with the painkillers regularly going in. I start the salt walter rinsing tomorrowso by the time I go back to work on Monday I should be over the worst I hope.

Hope you all have a peaceful evening.

Take care,
    GraceB
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh dear, you poor thing, what a horrible experience but at least it's gone so healing can now begin. Now it's time to stop your tongue from straying to the gap . . . . I hope you manage a decent night's sleep. DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    50 mins? Blimey! That's a long tooth-pulling session. I don't know who to congratulate most – you or the dentist. Both deserve it, I think.

Well, 'tis gone and, if not quite all over and done with, the worst is over. Rest up, Grace. I believe one should after even an easy extraction - which this wasn't. Well done!
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    Options
    Thank you DD and Sticky.

I was absolutely shattered last night. Although the gum is sore and feels a little swollen, it's so much better than it was before when the tooth was there. I am sure given a few days it will all settle down.

Yes, Sticky, my dentist was brilliant. I have to say, however, that if I need any other extractions I will be asking about the roots and if they are curved ones I will be asking to go to a dentist in an adjoining town where they do these sorts of things under sedation. At least that way, I wouldn't know anything about it.

Managed to get a mini shop done this morning and have brought loads of soft food to eat (jam doughnuts are soft aren't they?), but I am hoping to be able to eat 'proper' food from tomorrow onwards.

Needless to say, now that the toothache and abcess issue have been resolved my joints are very much letting me know about their presence again. Not sure what's worst to be honest.

I have a flare-up clinic appt 3rd July for painkilling jabs into my spine (that was a laugh). My back flared mid-late May, I rang the number I'd been given for an emergency flare-up clinic appt. The consultant was on leave when the June clinic should have been held so my appt is 3rd July. Clinics are the first Thursday of every month - heaven knows what you are meant to do if you physically cannot move on the first Friday of the month! ... :!:

Take care,
    GraceB
  • GraceB
    Options
    I am progressing slowly with food and was able to eat cheese on toast at lunch time, albeit very slowly and still one-sided. I am hoping to magically drop 2 stone by this process. I have to say whilst I have been daintily nibbling at my food like a true lady apparently does, I have had no indigestion and I get fuller quicker (I'm usually a 'shovel it in quick before it gets cold' kind of girl if you get my drift! :oops: ).

GraceB
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Oh you poor thing. (((Grace))) Tooth pain is just the pits, isn't it? :( I remember being horrified at how agonising I found an infected wisdom tooth. I had been diagnosed with RA, so it wasn't like pain was new to me! Mashed potato and ice cream was good for me when I had my wisdom teeth out. Wish you a speedy recovery!
  • GraceB
    Options
    Am doing okay I think. Thanks for your post Starburst. Mashed spud and ice cream have actually helped. Missing my veg though! Hopefully tomorrow.

Take care
    GraceB
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, how are things today? Tooth ache is like earache, utterly miserable because you can't get at it but hopefully yours is on the way out. Keep up the dainty nibbling because you do feel fuller quicker: Mr DD wolfs his dinner in the time it takes me to eat four mouthfuls (I chew each at least 25 times) then belches for a while before raiding the cupboards for more scoff. :roll: DD
  • GraceB
    Options
    DD! You do make me laugh with your descriptive posts. :lol::lol: Just be thankful Mr DD belches rather than any other options being considered ... (not that you'd allow that kind of behaviour I am sure!)

Yes, I continue to nibble in a lady like way. I have to admit I do feel fuller quicker.

At the moment, the gap feels odd still but I expect it will for a few days yet. I am trying not to wiggle my tongue around the gap too much but of course my the inside of that area of my mouth is seeming to find the gap without my intending it to - if that makes sense!?! The gap itself is still a little sore but it's early days yet. I will get there I know.

Very humid here in Kent today - which doesn't help the OA. Naturally as soon as the tooth was out and therefore the pain from that gone, the OA pain became very real again so, as a distraction pain, toothache worked extremely well - not that I really recommend it!
    GraceB