Pregnancy and OA help

Options
balletgirl
balletgirl Member Posts: 3
edited 10. Jun 2014, 06:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, first post so please be kind :)
Im 23wks pregnant with my 4th and have OA (upper & lower back/hips), dysplastic hips and fibromyalgia. I was on MST (slow release morphine) for years until feb this year along with 120mg arcoxia and 10mg amitriptyline. Arcoxia and amitriptyline stopped immediately. I went from 360mg a day to 20mg a day by slowly tappering. Pain and insomnia have been pretty unbearable. im managing 1-2hr sleep a nite and have to take 10mg sevredol (breakthrough) painkiller to help me cope. I stopped the MST completely on thursday last week and am in even worse shape. G.P.has put me back on 10mg x 2 day and see how I get on. Has anyone any experience of this themselves? How do I cope with the fidgetyness especially at night, and lack of sleep? Im exhausted but just lie there tossing and turning, im scared I'll fall back into depression. I've tried TENS (dr recommend), paracetamol (ha!), massage, stretches, meditation, swimming and seen physio. If anyone can add anything, anything at all, I would be grateful. Many thanks. :?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello balletgirl and welcome to the forum. You have an awful lot going on there – OA, dysplasia and fibro is quite a mix even without a family to care for.

Most of our pregnant Mums on here have an auto-immune form of arthritis and have to come off their meds for several months before even trying to get pregnant so your situation is a bit different. The only forum member that I can recall who had OA (and was pregnant with her third child) was 'melrymax'. I don't know if some of her posts would be relevant to you. She did post quite a bit when pregnant but not much after the baby arrived :lol:

My own two pregnancies were over 40 years ago. I'd had RA for 10-13 years by then. All I was allowed to take was soluble aspirin and it was not a good 9 months but I've never done morphine, except post-op, or other strong pain relief either so I guess I was used to it.

I wish I could help but you seem to have listed all the usual things. I just go for any kind of distraction from pain – anything I can get absorbed in. However, I expect with 3 children you already have a lot of distractions. You are clearly liaising with your GP and he / she is probably the best person to advise. However, you might find something here that would help http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Selfmanagement/Managingpain I hope so.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • balletgirl
    balletgirl Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you Stickywicket for commenting. I was literally at the end of my tether when I posted. I had spoken to the Arthritis care helpline who directed me to the discussion board to see if anyone could suggest anything or had been through same thing as me.
    Last night, after first night back on MST, I slept for 51/2 hrs. I was thrilled! I'm really hoping it continues as its been going on for months. I really tried my best to manage without the meds, but I just can't. Im not a failure, my husband keeps reminding me I've come so far and DID actually get off them completely, but I have to think of me first (as my G.P. says too) for a change so I'm trying to remain positive and take each day as it comes. many thanks for listening. :lol:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I'm sorry I missed this yesterday but pleased you slept better as it's virtually impossible to take any big decisions when sleep-deprived.

You have discovered (the hard way) the drawback of strong pain relief ie getting off it. Keep in close touch with your GP and don't miss any ante-natal appointments. We are here as a sounding board and / or to offer sympathy. I hope all goes well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright