something died...

daffy2
daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
edited 5. Jun 2014, 06:39 in Community Chit-chat archive
but didn't go to heaven unfortunately.
There has been an ever increasing whiff of dead flesh in my spare room, which is not very pleasant, especially as the computer is in there and I do all my paperwork there as well. Having looked in the loft, and moved boxes under the bed, all the while sniffing until I was dizzy, I've come to the conclusion that whatever it is must be in the cavity wall. Guess I'll just have to let nature take its course - and hope it doesn't take too long or make a stain on the wall!

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Ah. My best guess is a mouse and I hope it dessicates soon. Time for a scented candle? Or one of those plug-ins, pure chemicals indeed but good for disguising nasty niffs. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    That doesn't sound too pleasant. Do you have an old chimney that a bird could have fallen down? Whatever, it is / was, as someone who has just recovered my sense of smell after several years when it went awol, this would be a rather nasty awakening.

Yes, anything to counteract it as long as it does. Sometimes, all you get by trying is to layer one smell over another.

Or, could you temporarily move the computer?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    I used to work in my ex's shop and we were bothered with rats(food shop next door) he got someone In to deal with it one must have got under the floorboards and died the smell was awful as the weather was warming up, all we could do was let as much fresh air in as possible and a few strategically placed air freshners about the place which did help and once the cold weather came that was the end of the matter. x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    We put poison down for mice..the worse move ever we couldn't go in one bedroom because of the smell it was under the floor boards and we had a new carpet fitted ...but we had to give in and take the boards up..from then on we put down the humane traps ..its an evil smell... :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Could it be food? My Son left his lunch box at club and when it returned home a week later there was an uneaten sausage roll inside and the smell was nauseating!

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • daffy2
    Food is one thing I can rule out as there ain't nobody else here, and I don't eat in the room. Masking the smell isn't an option as I react badly to such things(I have to leave a shop after a short while if they have one of those automatic air 'fresheners')Fortunately the smell hasn't got worse, just changed somewhat and extended its territory along the landing a bit.
    I agree about the rat's revenge, they do seem to have a talent for it. My mother had to deal with a rat in the outside store when I was a child, and it got into the flat roof above the kitchen to expire, just as the weather was warming up...At work last year a rat died under the floorboards near a ventilation grille at the bottom of the stairs to the offices, to coincide with the heating being put on.
  • krisbe
    krisbe Member Posts: 95
    My friend has rats under her floor boards. she has dealt with hers but has a neighbour who hasnt bothered despite repeated attempts to get them to put down bait. It is a semi-detached so it is a major problem. She said one must have died because the smell was disgusting.
  • daffy2
    It is a semi-detached
    I'm semi-d as well and in view of where the smell is concentrated am wondering if next-door might be involved. That could be an interesting conversation!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    daffy2 wrote:
    It is a semi-detached
    I'm semi-d as well and in view of where the smell is concentrated am wondering if next-door might be involved. That could be an interesting conversation!

Beginning "I smell a rat"? :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright