Is Your Employer Supportive??

Options
Lou001
Lou001 Member Posts: 51
edited 7. Jun 2014, 12:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

Just wondered how everyone gets on with work and having arthritis.

Are your employers supportive of your illness? Do they allow you time off for appointments?

Im currently working my 4 weeks notice with my employer as I have a new job.
My current employers have been great, they have given me paid time off for hospital appointments and physio appointments, and I can take annual leave at the last minute if I feel I need some time off.

Im slightly worried about my new employers, I know how important it is to set the right impression when you start with a new company, however I cant miss my appointments.

They are aware of my Arthritis (Psoriatic) as I had to fill a medical questionnaire in as part of my employment contract. I have also agreed to them requesting a medical report from my GP.

Sorry for all the questions, Im just very anxious at the minute! :roll:

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I had a marvellous boss, namely me. :wink: I was fortunate enough to be self-employed and could therefore negotiate as much time off as was required. I reckon a read-through of the Benefits and Working Matters board on here may be of greater help. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hi Lou,

I am starting a new job in a few weeks time, so I understand your anxiety. Firstly, you are legally entitled to paid time off for your medical appts that are directly related to a long-term disability/illness. I think the best policy is to be honest from the first day. It's very likely that they have employed people with disabilities and long-term conditions before, so they will know what to do. They will have policies and procedures on managing employees in your situation, so do have a flick through and get yourself up to speed.

Finally, good luck! :D What job is it?
  • Lou001
    Lou001 Member Posts: 51
    Options
    Thanks both! :)

Starburst it's a job in finance, financial accounts.
    Good luck with your new job. What will you be doing?
  • jinger
    jinger Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Congratulations on the new job Lou001 :)

Hmmm, I've been thinking about this too as am due to start with a new employer at the end of the month.

My current employer allows me half a day's paid 'disability' leave for hospital appointments and if I need the whole day (to travel etc as some of my appointments are out of town) then I can use half a days annual leave as well.

I have been up front with the new employer about my conditions and tried to enquire what it says in the company's employee handbook but it seems the manager doesn't always abide by what's in there :( My new manager is under the impression that for any hospital appointments (related to disability or not), I'll have to take the whole day as annual leave or make up the lost time by the end of the month (which will be impossible as it's full time work and I won't have the energy for overtime and I'm certainly not working through my lunch breaks!). The hospital appointments I usually have aren't connected to my osteoarthritis but to another condition I have called lipo-lymphoedema and it has been confirmed by several Occupational Health chaps that both are deemed to be disabilities so would be covered under the DDA/Equalities Act. I still have the reports to confirm this. Unfortunately I have found out about the manager's ideas regarding hospital appointments after I had accepted the new job and handed my notice in at my current one. Silly silly me! If I'd have known about this before hand I may not have taken the new job as my current employer won't allow people to retract their notice letter once it's been handed in
    In a world where everything is a copy .... I remain an original
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    I work for a local authority and have had good support in all but one of my posts. That particular one was horrendous which ended up with me taking two weeks off work with work-related stress as they'd acted so appallingly towards me due to my health issues. I am now happily settled in a part time role in which I feel I can support our clients effectively and I am surrounded by a great team.
    Talk to your new employers, be honest and open. Ask them what they need to know. Think - what have you shared with your current employers? Is there any kind of scheme such as 'Two Ticks' or a 'Disability Passport' you could be registered with via them. Think also about emergency evacuations - do you need help with these? Have your work station assessed to make sure it's right for you and sort out any equipment you need at an early stage.
    I think if you are honest, open and receptive you'll be absolutely fine.
    Congratulationson the new job. I hope it goes really, really well.
    Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I am lucky in that my current headteacher (and also the deputy head) are both very supportive of me, I already have a special office chair and when some offices were moved recently the head made sure that I am based in one with lift access. I have been on sick leave since January and before that was on reduced hours from April last year. At our last meeting I requested a further OH referral to dicuss other equipment I might need. I explained about Access to Work funding but was told not to worry as he would get what was needed. I am going to request that they state that I am disabled in terms of the DDA definition as you never know what the future holds and I know from experience that not all heads are so good.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Sarah01
    Sarah01 Member Posts: 192
    Options
    Hi Lou,

I work in Local Government and I have to say that HR have been fantastic with me, both before my THR and afterwards. They were fantastic especially with the 5 months I was off work, 2 weeks before the op and 18 weeks afterwards.

When I was diagnosed with OA and on crutches they put a fire evacuation plan into place or PEEP for short. When I went back to work last month, they bought me a new office chair and a footrest. I'm still on reduced hours until my surgeon gives me the OK to return full time and I even have a special parking permit to park directly behind the Town Hall so I don't have to walk far.

They know that I have OA in the other hip and will need another THR and again they have been supportive. I wish I could say the same for my manager and colleagues though. I think their non-support is lack of knowledge regarding OA even though I have discussed it with them at length. As long as I have HR and the union behind me I am one happy bunny :D

Sarah x
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    I too have a PEEP (personal emergency evacution plan). Local Authorities seem to love acronyms! I always say if the one I work for hasn't thought of an acronym for something in particular, it's not long before they have!

Something else I thought of was to make sure you present your abilities in a positive way, i.e., I find alternative ways around the challenges that life throws at me. I am a glass half-full person (and not a half-empty one). Maintain that positive mental attititude and you'll be fine.

With regards to your appointments try to get them either at the start of clinics or end. At least that way you can show you are doing everything you can to minimise the impact on your working hours and yes, as they are disability related, your employer must allow you the time off to attend them and such time shouldn't come out of annual or sick leave allowances.

Let us know how you get on please.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Lou001 wrote:
    Thanks both! :)

Starburst it's a job in finance, financial accounts.
    Good luck with your new job. What will you be doing?

Thank you. I will be a social worker for older adults and people with physical disabilities.

Have you heard of Access to Work? They are fantastic. I have worked with them to support clients into work plenty of times.
    https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work/overview
    http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/access-work

Best of luck!