How do you store your recipes?

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
edited 22. Jun 2014, 06:57 in Community Chit-chat archive
Years ago I bought a hard-backed exercise book and divided it neatly into sections with an index at the front. I carefully and neatly wrote out my favourite recipes by hand.

Later I just cut and pasted them. Or stuck in recipes scrawled on tatty bits of paper.

Then the true rot set in.

Most of the ones I actually use are now crammed into the front of the book, mainly scribbled on whatever was to hand with whatever was to hand, some printed off the internet, some on cards from supermarkets or the backs of packets. They are, without exception, dog-eared, torn, stained with the ingredients listed and generally a health and safety nightmare. (Mr. SW and I continue to thrive.)

Is it possible to reach 'mature arthritic woman' and still have a clean, neat recipe book?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I used to put them anywhere,bits of paper tucked all over the book shelves,when I got my first computer I started typing them and put them in plastic sleeves in a folder,this took some time as I can only type with index fingers this is not due to arthritis it's because it's the only way I can do it . Mig
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Like you Sticky mine are every where written on anything and everything, a lot of them stuck in the back of a recipe book, some of them now on my favourites tool bar not a good idea either taking laptop into a floury environment. What I really need is my friend who is a PA to come and sort my mess out for me.............payment .................feed her one of the recipes(cooked, before you say anything :lol:) xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sorry SW but mine are in a real state..like yours there are smudges of all sorts on them..I did think of doing what Mig has putting them in clear sleeves but never got round to it.. :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I am so pleased I am not the only one with scraps of recipes here, there and everywhere. :D I have a habit of tearing out recipes from papers and magazines (the latter not necessarily mine :oops: ) and they end up strewn around the house like over-sized confetti. Earlier this year I bought a tin box marked 'Recipes' and in a fit of wanting to me organised I transferred some to the container (it has helpful sections marked with the various stages of meals) but a) I still possess the old concertina file from 202 which was crammed with press bits and on-line bits and b) I ran out of enthusiasm for that task. That day may yet arrive. 8)

My favourite cookery books are littered with Post-Its and handwritten notes - it saves time when looking for a specific recipe. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    They are torn out of papers and mags, written on stained scraps of paper but all stuffed in a hanging file :D A far cry from my mum's which were all typed or written with her lovely handwriting and filed orderly in a proper recipe box. I will never achieve this to the disappointment of her and her sisters. They were all like this, and I inherited my father's disorganised ways, made worse now by arthritis, limited spoons, and a perspective that it is not really that important :D
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Well, at least I'm not the only health hazard. I guess our only consolation is that, if we didn't cook healthy meals, our recipe books would be short and clean.
    Steven Wright
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Options
    Mine are all in transparent sleeves in a ring binder dating from way back. I tend to print off recipies from the web now as my writing is a bit untidy now a days and I can't always read it.
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Mine were everywhere; torn out from magazines, scribbled on scraps of paper, ripped out of an ancient recipe book. A while ago, I finally hole punched each one and they're in a big lever-arch file. If I ever get REALLY bored, I may put them in some kind of order. It still takes me ages to find what I want.
  • mzjones
    mzjones Bots Posts: 38
    Options
    I handwrite mine into a little journal that I've had for years. It takes me a little while to do it, and most of the time I end up doing it weeks later, but it's worth the trouble. In my opinion there is just something about having a personal written recipe. It just feels less like I bought it from a book store. My goal when I started the book was to pass it down to my children. I hope it lasts with all of the grease stains.
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    Oh dear ,since I became quite ill and the kids left the nest ,I stopped what you could call reall cooking so I dont have any recipies as such loads of cookery books though .......still pristine pages ...I tend to make thngs up as I go along so they are all stored in my head :) ...probably the best place ,O/H cooks and I wash and clear awayxx
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Thank goodness I'm not the only one. I've got 2 bookcases full of recipe books which I've read but not actually cooked anything from. I've got hundreds of recipes torn out of magazines and pieces of paper which I've written recipes on. These start off piled up near the cooker then, when I need to tidy up, they go in to a drawer. Some of them have eventually gone in to plastic sleeves in a file and some are in an accordion box file divided in to the main ingredient. I rarely use them, preferring to look recipes up on the internet. :lol:
    Christine
  • LisaW
    LisaW Bots Posts: 37
    Options
    I just print out most of my recipes and stuff them into a drawer. Many never to be seen again:) Mostly cook from memory.

I have found a great app which saves recipes I like. I can even change the servings sizes and go between metric or US cups. Though, it is slowly turning into my virtual drawer.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I wonder of this general state of recipe chaos means that we're all splendid cooks? I reckon that someone with an immaculate collection probably buys everything ready-made from Marks or Waitrose. :wink: Quite a few of my favourites are hard-wired into my brain but what I find increasingly difficult is to ensure the larder is suitably stocked. :oops: Mr DD chefs every weekend but doesn't necessarily remember to chalk up what he's finished so I can replenish - mind you he will happily finger-wag at me when that boot is on the other foot. :roll: DD
  • LisaW
    LisaW Bots Posts: 37
    Options
    Well said DD!
  • stickywicket
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I wonder of this general state of recipe chaos means that we're all splendid cooks? DD

:oops: Er.....no.
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Me neither Sticky. I make it up as I go along. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. :lol:
    Christine
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    I store mine in my belly,best place for them :D:D

Yes it really is prefabkid47,he has emerged from hibernation with a rampant thirst as usual,is Val's cafe still there or is now a T*sco Metro :cry:
    If so point me to the nearest bar (old habits die hard might see DD there).

How are you folks?

Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • stickywicket
    Options
    :D:D:D
    Hello and welcome back.

Bar? DD? Yup, some things don't change. She hasn't had her tassels out for a while though. maybe you could work on that :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Ron! :D How the very devil are you? It's great too see your name on here again, are you going to stick around for a while? If so, mine's a pint. :wink: DD