New PsA symptoms - anyone recognise this?

Options
polly123
polly123 Member Posts: 96
edited 7. Jun 2014, 05:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I've been in here - been offline with one thing or another. I'm not sure if you remember me, I have PsA, diagnosed a couple of years ago and settled now on methotrexate. It's worked wonders - i'm still stiff in the mornings and shattered by 3.30, and really need my days off to gather myself, but overall much better.

The past few days I've been feeling really rough, I started having that feeling in my left calf - you know just before you cramp? - but it doesn't come to that, thank goodness as I had terrible night cramps that twisted my ankle the wrong way and were very painful. So, I have this pre-crampy feeling, which is making me limp - it almost feels as if my leg is too short? if you know what I mean. Today I've developed a definite pain in the front centre of my left knee. Any ideas anyone?

I have widespread arthritis - spine, shoulders, hips, hands, feet, and take amitriptyline for trapped nerves in my spine and lodine for pain, plus of course folic acid. Oh, and iron tablets again as my ferritin levels are low.

Thanks, Polly

Comments

• Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Polly;

I do have this and more! I am being investigated for a neuropathy because of my widespread muscle fasciculations and cramps, so I'm not sure if I make a good comparison to you as my cramps may not relate to my PsA completely. I take a strong muscle relaxant three or four times a day and Gabapentin for nerve pain.

I would consider asking discussing your problem with GP and rheum, maybe a muscle relaxant would help if your problem persists?

I do remember you, nice to see you back and I'm glad Methotrexate has helped you.

best wishes,
    Anna
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Polly
    Sorry you are struggling like this, I'm afraid I wont be much help, but your leg feeling shorter and the cramps is the same thing ..when you get cramps your ligaments shorten so this is what is happening..there is something you can get from your GP but I forget the name :roll: ...hope it eases up very soon
    Love
    Barbara
  • polly123
    Options
    Thanks Boomer - nice to hear from you again. That sounds very uncomfortable for you - hope they can figure it out soon - and thank you too Barbara - I wonder then if my leg has stayed cramped in some way? it's hard to tell as you get used to a certain pain level don't you? If so, and it is shortening my leg, then maybe that's whats affecting my knee?

Think you're both right, and a(nother) trip to the GP is needed,

Thanks, Polly
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Polly its always wise to get regular cramps checked out, you could excersise your calf mean while by streching it, you dont take statins by any chane these can cause cramps, let us know how you get on.
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi polly

I have OA and a rare neurological condition, I get severe cramps mostly in my right foot, I find drinking tonic water helps take mine away. Of course you still need to mention to your GP but it may help meantime and wont do any harm, if you do try it check that there is quinine in it...............Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • polly123
    Options
    Hi Barbara, no I don't take statins, but am stretching my legs, heel down of course!!
    Villier it's interesting how many have neurological issues on top of arthur - I know I have trapped nerves from the bottom of my spine which affected my legs initially. I have a GP appointment today at 3pm so shall let you know how I get on.

I'm so grateful to this forum for being the voice of reason :) I sometimes wonder if i'm over-reacting/worrying too much etc, so its really helpful to be able to come here to people with lived experience for an opinion - I've never posted about anything yet that someone hasn't experienced!!

Thank you so much! Polly
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Just wanted to wish you luck with the appointment, Polly.

I don't get leg cramps / neurological problems and I'm trying to avoid collecting anything else :wink:
    Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • polly123
    Options
    Hi Sticky nice to speak with you again - how are things with you?

Kenlawson thank you for your support.

Well the GP said the cramps are secondary, but it appears that the arthritis is now in both knees, but more advanced in my left knee. He didn't know if this is a progression of the PsA or the beginning of osteo but thinks the former, since I'm struggling more than usual with tiredness and grumpyness.

No further action apparently - if it continues for longer than a month then he'll refer me back to the rheumy for a further MRI. Seems sensible to wait and see I guess, since I'm already pretty well managed with metho etc. Obviously if it gets worse I'll go back.

he was asking me about pain levels again, and I find that so difficult - we live with pain most of the time don't we? so our pain levels are pretty high - it's so hard to describe.

Thanks for your support again, I really appreciate it,

Off to sulk...............and eat chocolate cake...............Polly
  • stickywicket
    Options
    polly123 wrote:
    he was asking me about pain levels again, and I find that so difficult - we live with pain most of the time don't we? so our pain levels are pretty high - it's so hard to describe.

I'm good, thanks, Polly.

My own personal Pain Scale (I agree. They're ridiculous.

1 - What pain?
    2 - Hardly a twinge
    3 - Not bad
    4 - Average
    5. – I can handle it
    6 - Not good
    7 - Bad
    8 - S….ing awful
    9 - -… Off
    10 – Morphine! Now!
    Steven Wright
  • polly123
    Options
    love it!!!

I'm probably sitting at a 5 then, most days

Glad to hear your ok just now - long may it last!
  • Tubby
    Tubby Member Posts: 177
    Options
    I have PsA and your symptoms are familiar to me - well they were. I have come off methotrexate and I am now on a Biologic (Enbrel for the record). I could just about hobble about a couple of months ago (whilst on methotrexate and sulphasalazine) and I was constantly exhausted. Yesterday I ran, yes ran (although not quickly) 2.5 miles - and this is not a one off. I still wake up with nasty cramps and pains in my legs once my over night pain killers ease off but I am so much better than I was. Keep pushing for answers and make sure you are on the best drug for you. I have been a sporty person all my life and so running cycling, swimming etc are more normal for me but I encourage you to find your 'normal', or as near to it as you can and not to take 'no' for an answer.

Good Luck

Tubby
  • polly123
    Options
    Tubby,

Thank you so much for your response. I too was a very sporty person prior to PsA - a mountain climber and kayaker - that kind of thing. Now I'm up to walking about 2 miles, very slowly - well I was until this knee incident. I'm going to give it a couple of weeks/a month and see if it clears, if not I'll go back directly to the rheumy with it.

Well done on your progress!!

My task for the weekend is to try and have a conversation about my health with a man who has his fingers in his ears everytime I mention it!! that's a whole other issue :)
  • stickywicket
    Options
    polly123 wrote:
    My task for the weekend is to try and have a conversation about my health with a man who has his fingers in his ears everytime I mention it!! that's a whole other issue :)

Ah yes! The bloke factor :roll: Choose your time well. Open a bottle of something nice and, weather permitting, sit outside. Be factual, not emotional. Ask how he feels too. The answers can be very enlightening. Good luck!
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I began PsA in 1997 but it wasn't recognised as an arthritis - that took five years for someone to take me seriously and by the time I began the meds in 2002 it was too little too late. As a result of the joint damage I was diagnosed with OA in both knees in April 2011, now it's both ankles and both hips too. It's not fun. :wink:

I get cramps and spasms during the night but I put that down to my not moving naturally in my sleep - I sleep and wake in exactly the same position, if I want to turn over I have to wake up to do so. My feet will also spasm during the day, especially my big toes, they will raise themselves to an angle of around 45 degrees and it's not comfy - I find standing on the affected toe soon puts it back into the right place. We lead complicated lives, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben