Hi newbie here!

Options
jamart
jamart Member Posts: 27
edited 15. Jun 2014, 05:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I have had oa in my knees for about 4 years and had been taking naprozen until I started having stomach problems, then decided to stop taking them, I now just have paracetamol. Two years ago I started having problems with my ankle it turned out to be in my subtalar joint, I have had a cortisone injection in it that was done under local anaesthetic with xray assistance. It only lasted as a pain relief for about 2 1/2 weeks. :( I go back to see the consultant in july and I think he with suggest a fusion operation. I was wondering if anyone had had this done and what the outcome was, good or bad? I am in a lot of pain and do have a very bad limp which has slowed me down to a snails pace! Am 51.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I have OA in a number of joints (thanks to my other arthritis) and took naproxen for some time - it did very little for me but I also took a stomach protector too - were you not given one? If not then that is not good practice. I now take diclofenac every now and then but again with a stomach protector. I have also had steroid injections and they have never made much difference to me - three days of slightly less pain and that was my lot. I'm not having those again. :lol: I cannot help on the surgery front not having had that kind. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • polly123
    polly123 Member Posts: 96
    Options
    Hi Jamart,

Didn't want to read and run this morning, and justed wanted to offer moral support. Don't have any experience of what you're struggling with, although I did change from naproxin to lodine which is much better for me - better on your stomach also. I'm sure someone with more experience will be along later

Polly
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hello and welcome from me too jamart. I've not had foot ops but there are some on here who have and I hope one or two will be along soon.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Doubleouch
    Doubleouch Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Hi
    Not really sure if thus will give you the info you eere looking for but I have had 3 ankle fusions on the same ankle???
    2 were non -union so eventally the third was done using a hind nail going through my heel and into ankle along with several pins.
    From my own experience and what I have been told by several consultants that when you have a fusion there is greater risk

of the joints above and below the fusion being affected with OA,which is certainly the case with me.
    Despite being told on all 3 occasions I should make a full recovery,I use 2 elbows crutches indoor and a wheelchair outdoors so although the joint that was fused is stable now ,I have alot of trouble still some 7 yrs on.
    I am sure this is not the norm ,well at least I hope it is not but thought I would lrt you know what can ho wrong.
    I am sure if you g for the op you will be fine
    x
  • Doubleouch
    Doubleouch Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Sorry about the spelling mistakes, system would not let me edit
    I have chronic pins and needles in hands today so hands feel as if I have bananas for fingers.......
    x :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
    And therefore not able to use them very well
  • jamart
    Options
    Hi and thank you to everyone who has replied, its just nice to be able to talk to someone who is going through similar problems to me. None of my family or friends suffer from arthritis so they don't or carnt know how I am feeling. Am finding it hard to accept it as a life long thing at the moment, so still getting my head round things.
  • Tubby
    Tubby Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Welcome - life is never easy with this disease bit we all have good and bad days and it helps to share both with people who understand :)
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    hi jamart

there maybe a few things they could try with your ankle like a brace that they would make to suit & fit your ankle but chances are you will end up needing the opperation

there are some of us on here that have had our ankles fused , I suffer with RA & had both ankles done , the opperation is called Triple Arthrodesis , you still have the movement of the main ankle joint but without the pain of the of the lower ankle , if they need to opperate on this joint then there is nothing else they can do ,

the opperation takes a couple of hours , you wont feel much pain afterwards as they control it well , you will be in plaster for 6 weeks non weight bearing & then another 20 weeks in a air boot , waiting list in England is less than 6 months & would recommend you have it done if needed
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,944
    Options
    Hello Jamart
    i had a triple fusion on my foot( in a bone in the middle of my foot) i was in hospital from the mon and i came home on the fri. it was in plaster for 13 weeks 6 weeks non weight bearing i had the plaster changed twice.
    i was just told i needed a fusion i was not offered anything else.
    it was done in 2011 i have not had any trouble with it. i have a thr and a tkr
    all the best
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • jamart
    Options
    Hi and thank you to the replies regarding the fusion operation, I'll take on board whats been said and am making a list of questions to ask my consultant when I next go see him.