MRI Scans

Options
WhiteRoseLass
WhiteRoseLass Member Posts: 3
edited 6. Jun 2014, 04:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
I wonder if anyone has had the same problem with MRI scans I have.

I have RA, OA and systemic Lupus and the pain in hips/knees/back is appalling, mobility very restricted.

In 2012 had several MRI's on right knee, all of which came back as "minimal arthritis" but the Consultant said he thought the MRI wasn't showing everything so did an arthroscopy on right knee. This operation showed extensive grade 3 arthritis throughout all the right knee. However, they wouldn't replace the knee due to my age (38) even though they said if I had been 58 they would have done it immediately.

My left knee has had a 4" x 4" painful swelling on it for months. I saw another Consultant last month, had another MRI on left knee and guess what came back as "minimal arthritis" just like the right knee. He has said there is nothing wrong with my knee (despite what happened with the right knee) said he had no idea what the big swelling/lump on the knee was and more or less suggested I seek psychiatric help for imagined pain. My GP has gone mad and is trying to find someone else for me to see.

What I would like to know is has anyone else had the problem of MRI not showing what is really happening in a joint. Obviously, it did not show what was happening in my right knee, and I am at a loss as to how this can be.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello WhiteRoseLass and welcome to the forum from a fellow Yorkie :)

I don't have lupus but have had RA for 53 years and OA for about 10 fewer. I had my knees replaced at 35 and had one of the replacements replaced about 3 years ago.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the MRI business. I've only ever had one and that was when I broke a hip. I hope someone will be along soon who can. I does seem odd.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've had MRIs on my knees which showed what was going on inside re. inflammation (this was before my diagnosis of PsA) but only Xrays for my OA affected joints (the latest round was today and I am now paying the price :wink: ). Xrays and MRIs show different things - what do your bloods show regarding inflammation and what meds are you taking for your RA? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I have had MRIs on my spine and they show up things I didn't know I had, but had Xrays on my hips and knees and they showed up the OA..so not a clue what has going on with yours, you must be so frustrated with it all ..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Sarah01
    Sarah01 Member Posts: 192
    Options
    Hi Whiteroselass,

Welcome to the forum from another fellow Yorkie :)

I had xrays and an MRI on my hips. When the surgeon wrote to my GP with my results, he commented on the fact that OA was more defined in the xray than the MRI. He thought it was remarkable the xray showed more. Saying that, I only had an MRI on the knee and it showed the OA clearly.

It's good to hear that your GP is supporting you and finding you another consultant. I wish you all the best and keep us posted on your progress.

Take care
    Sarah x
  • WhiteRoseLass
    WhiteRoseLass Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Many thanks for your responses, I will let you know if I get anywhere with a second opinion that my GP is arranging.
    They are concerned the lump is something called a sarcoma, so I should be seeing someone within the next 2 weeks.
    As regards medication, I am on prednislone (can't take Disease Modyfying stuff anymore as it has caused kidney damage).

Hope you are all keeping as well as can be.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    A sarcoma would not come under the remit of the rheumatologist. I hope whoever you see about it will be of more help. Please let us know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright