I'm feeling a bit sad

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
edited 9. Jun 2014, 05:44 in Community Chit-chat archive
Cliff Severn Snr has died. After his family emigrated to California from London, Cliff was, briefly, a child actor and played a young Wakefield Whiteoak in a 1935 movie 'Jalna'. Starring in the movie was the then famous English actor C. Aubrey Smith who was also, briefly, England cricket captain. It was C. Aubrey Smith, and other English ex-pat actors in Hollywood, who taught young Cliff to play cricket.

He was already in his 80s when I first met him. His son, Cliff Jnr. plays in the same Los Angeles cricket team as my own son. Cliff Snr. still used to turn out occasionally for the club's 3rd team, aptly named The Occasionals.

I can still see the sprightly 80+ yr old, sitting on the grass to get his boots on then jumping up again. He's the only person I've ever seen playing cricket in a neckerchief. And a proper, long-sleeved white shirt rolled up from the cuffs.

He played cricket because he loved it and it would never have occurred to him to boast about how nimble he still was or the famous people he'd known. He was just a lovely, kind, friendly guy who would talk cricket with anyone, anytime - and I feel strangely diminished by his death.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    SW these people come along every now and then, I always think they don't realize how much people care for them, :) how lovely that his son is carrying on in the game he loved, and even better your son plays in the same team.. :D xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I am not surprised you are feeling a sense of loss - I know how much you love your cricket and he does sound special. Oh my word, to have that physical ability and yet be so modest about it - I could sing from the rooftop when I manage to put my shoes on without a single grunt, ooof or ouch (mind you I can no longer reach the rooftop which is a technical hitch). May he rest in peace. DD x
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Sorry you're feeling sad Sticky,like DD I know how much you love your cricket. Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I've just read his obit on cricinfo. I'd no idea he'd represented the USA at cricket. He was even more modest than I realised. What a lovely guy! http://www.espncricinfo.com/usa/content/story/750517.html
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Just read this SW..what a fascinating career he had..and I love the picture, looks like something from the old west... :)
    Love
    Barbara