DEXA update.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 6. Jun 2014, 04:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
I can't quite believe it, I've had some good news - I'm not used to that! :wink:

The fracture clinic referred me to rheumatology for a DEXA scan in view of my splendid fall last January; as the frequent flyers on here will know my left upper humerus repaired itself after some period of time but this was a follow-up so see how things generally are. They have improved which is an odd sensation.

My last scan in 2011 showed that my right hip was on the cusp of osteopenia and that my spinal bone density was on the low side but just about OK. Today's scan revealed that the right hip is still on the cusp of osteopenia but that my spinal bone density has increased by 3.4%, most likely as a result of weaning myself off the steroids in 2011. I am staggered and somewhat pleased.

You know what? Every now and again things do go in our favour so don't give up hope, OK? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• dawnf43
    dawnf43 Member Posts: 27
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi DD

I'm so pleased for you. :D Isn't lovely to have good news for a change.

Sometimes life can seem like one bad day after another, so it's great when something goes well. I for one will take encouragement from your good fortune.

Dawn
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    That's great news, DD. Very pleased for you.

Meg
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    So good to hear. You must be feeling pleased.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    :D:D:D I am very, very pleased.

Yes, things have gone right and, as with the shoulder, it's gone right as a result of very hard work on your part. I remember the struggle you had to get off the steroids - and the perseverance demanded. What a great outcome! How encouraging for others!

Thanks for sharing that, DD.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,944
    Options
    Hello DD
    i'm pleased you have had some good news you have been through enough.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Good news, DD. Lovely to have that and not yet another condition to deal with. Anna :D
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    DD I'm so pleased for you, you deserve a bit of good news. I had my fingers crossed that the results would be OK, as arthritis and OP is not a good combo.
  • Sarah01
    Sarah01 Member Posts: 192
    Options
    That's great news DD :)
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Fantastic news DD :D:D:D , Thanks for sharing it.

Deb x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, I appreciate your kind responses. I am pleased - OK the rest of me is still rubbish but at least the basics are OK! :) Don't get me wrong, steroids have a part to play but they are a double-edged sword. I still love 'em but I have learned to appreciate the overall benefits of being without.

I am now paying the price for a very painful series of Xrays so my good humour has been somewhat tempered. :( DD
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Pleased for you DD. Mig
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    That is brilliant news DD, :D and like you say you was due some...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh wow, yesterdays antics on the Xray table have left their marks, literally. Fat joints all over the shop and two new bruises (one per the outside of each hip) thanks to the table. The two attendants were very kind but not that understanding about the trouble us creakies face when trying to manoeuvre ourselves into the contortions one has to undertake so they can get the angles they wish: one of them cheerfully pushed my right knee down flat, she was a lovely large and jolly West Indian lady with the gorgeous accent to match - 'Come on darlin', we need dat knee down!' and was very contrite after as she fetched me a tissue. Yes, dear reader, I blubbed. :lol:

Today will be devoted to doing very little. My breakfast is ready, my daily dose of natural Vit D is waiting to be cracked open. DD